TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shipping Transmission
charlesnj Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:23 pm

Hello All, I want to know if any one has ever shipped a manual transmission by either UPS or Fedex ? Will they do it ? The trans is out of a 86 Vanagon 2 wheel drive. Thanks Chuck

vwlovr Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:39 pm

charlesnj wrote: Hello All, I want to know if any one has ever shipped a manual transmission by either UPS or Fedex ? Will they do it ? The trans is out of a 86 Vanagon 2 wheel drive. Thanks Chuck

yes i have done it but was too heavy and had to go via UPS freight

mine was syncro so maybe you can get it under their weight limit. i built a wood box, but you may look around for like a big ass cooler to ship your trans. i'm into motos as well and one rebuilder recommends this igloo cooler for shipping these dirt bike motors. i'm just not sure if you can find one that the belllhousing would fit in.

tencentlife Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:14 pm

A few years ago my rebuilt tranny was shipped to me by Fedex.

klucz Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:20 pm

DHL is the cheapest I've found lately.

Christopher Schimke Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:00 pm

Call Daryll at AA Transaxle. He ships gearboxes via UPS daily.

PNW Westy Owner Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:31 pm

I shipped mine to AA Transaxle via UPS last Spring. I did not drain it though Daryll suggested I do. I did double bag it so it did not leak outside the box.

Daryll shipped it back via DHL (drained).

mightyart Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:43 am

I haven't shipped one, but I received one.
Came regular UPS in a wood crate, it was about 175 pounds I think.

foodeater Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:39 am

I got one sent to me a few years ago for my Studebaker, came via UPS, in a strong cardboard box with lots of bubble wrap. It was drained.

danfromsyr Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:54 am

I've shipped 2,
both I built a crate onto the trans..

cut a plywood square with a center hole and 4 bellhousing holes.

cut plywood rectangles to fasten to the CV flanges (3 CV bolts ea) that drop down to below the bottom of the trans..

then I start fastening 2x3 lumber to make a crate..
I screw a barn door handle to the big flat front face on the BH plywood and leave an opening by a 2x3 back by the nose.
then I take a HD cardboard box and use my little air stapler and jute twine to fasten the cardboard around the crate and let the trans look/ship pretty..

they are drained but not wrapped in bags. and very secure as the crate is built onto the trans.
shipped UPS standard for under $100 ea.

though that was 2 yrs ago.

Blood Loss Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:19 am

A friend of mine works at UPS. He says that they charge more to ship wooden crates than cardboard boxes (of same weight/ dimensions).
He says to hide wooden crate in cardboard box and it will cost less to ship.
Reason? Something about wooden crates catching on machinery causing jambs.

Williamtaylor33 Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:21 am

Yes Fed-Ex or UPS freight will do it. But there are cheaper options.

I shipped an aircooled tranny awhile back via Dugan Truck lines.
I built a wooden crate just big enough for the tranny to fit in. And then banded the crate too a small pallet. Nice an sturdy....
But i think the packaging weighed almost as much as the tranny :lol:

I think i paid right at $100 for the 180lb shipment.

charlesnj Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:04 pm

Thank you all for the responce.

dobryan Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

You don't really need a wood box. Daryl at AA uses a strong cardboard box and wraps the drained trans in a plastic bag then bubble wrap. Works great and does not add a lot of weight. I shipped my trans from work via UPS ground this way. About $100 coast to coast.

ratfarmer_vw Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:16 am

Where are you shipping the tranny from and where is it going?