TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Spark plugs with Yttrium?
meyervw Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:16 pm

I think thats how it is spelled. Anyway, I did my tune up. The engine is not happy. I removed the made in India plugs and put in the Bosch super heavy duty with Yttrium, copper plug, I think they sent the wrong thing. UmMMM Gustav hates them. Anybody else have this problem with these plugs? I am going to get the regular copper Bosch plugs. My invoice is for BoschWR7CC plugs. I got the wrong ones I think.

redtail Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:59 pm

I've always had bad luck with platinum or any fancy plugs. Regular copper NGK work a-okay for all my vehicles.

tencentlife Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:16 pm

NGK BP6ET. End of story.

Perales Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:55 am

tencentlife wrote: NGK BP6ET. End of story.
Oh.. I like short stories, but...
NGK lists BR6ES as the plug for the Vanagon, not BP6ET. Why would you chose one over the other?

tencentlife Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:56 am

Why would you limit yourself to the factory recommendations, is the more pertinent question. You must keep an open mind, lest ye become just another of those tiresome VW "old ladies" (I should put the winky emoticon here for the humor-impaired, but you get my drift).

The BP6ET is a copper-core projected-insulator tri-electrode design. I just pulled a set of the "recommended" Bosch W7CC plugs out of an engine (made in Germany by the way). I was amazed at how recessed the spark gap is in that plug. It's a wonder it can get a fire going at all, it's like it's waving a torch from the bottom of a cave. The extended nose gets the spark out away from the chamber wall, closer to the heart of the charge. Bring the fire to where the fuel is!

With the triple electrode you don't get three sparks, what you do get is fewer misfires because there are three chances to find a ground path, and much longer service because the three electrodes wear evenly and the core tip wears from three angles, maintaining a sharp top edge longer which concentrates spark energy. The gaps are also always open toward the center of the charge, instead of firing sideways. Many advantages.

I like NGK because they've always had more consistent quality than Bosch in the plugs department. For a guy who's hung up on Bosch going to India, this should have appeal. These are proudly "made in Japan" (did you ever think that that would become a mark of desirability? How times have changed...).

The BR6ES is a resistor plug with single electrode, not projected like the "P" type. The resistor may help lessen RF, but plug wires are supposed to help with that. I do get some noise on AM band, FM is pretty clean, but performance and mileage are far more important to me than how the radio sounds.

Perales Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:27 am

Now we're talking!
Thanks 10c, That is the detail that I like to hear. I am not a tiresome old lady who follows the company line by any stretch of the imagination, however I do like to base my decisions on knowledge rather than blind faith. Since my background does not include electrical engineering, I appreciate a bit of guidance from those more knowledgeable than myself. The more I can edumacate myself, the more confidence I have in my abilities to chose wisely. My main goal is to not blow myself up in the process. Yes I know that you are not an "engineer" either, but I certainly do respect and appreciate your input. (I guess I like more character development than can be accomplished in a short story)
Thanks.
I will most certainly try BP6ET on my next tune-up. I am very happy to have an alternative plug to go with.

tencentlife Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:55 am

Well good on you both for keeping an open mind, and for not taking my teasing seriously. I always type with my tongue planted firmly in my cheek.

These NGK's can be a little hard to find; I haven't found a FLAPS that stocks them. Bosch does make an equivalent, the W7DTC, but I do prefer the NGK's.

ChesterKV Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:59 am

NGK copper plugs all the way. From the factory, VW and Audi now use NGK plugs as a stock item for many/most of their models.

- Chester

Perales Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:05 am

Glad you caught it but I'll behave now.

Petervw Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:27 pm

tencentlife wrote: NGK BP6ET. End of story. .. would you know why when looking up the BP6ET plug, you get a picture or description of a single electrode plug...even NGK's website makes no mention of triple pronged plugs

tencentlife Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:55 pm

No idea.

meyervw Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:08 pm

Perfect. thanks fro the rec.

tencentlife Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:31 pm

Oh, by the way, the most informative site about NGK plugs and o2 sensors isn't the official site, but the startlingly eponymous www.ngk.com.

Petervw Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:25 am

tencentlife wrote: Oh, by the way, the most informative site about NGK plugs and o2 sensors isn't the official site, but the startlingly eponymous www.ngk.com. exactly what I was looking for ...thanks

Zero419 Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:52 am

I love when 10cent makes me look up words :D