TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking for a great way to mount your iPod? Pics Inside!
mgoodwin Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:33 pm

Hey everyone,

I recently bought an '84 Vanagon Camper and I have been thinking through how I might best place my iPod around the dash where it is convenient to see/use while driving.

I think I have figured out a cheap, easy, awesome solution that truly anyone can do!

First off, the materials...

1. BoxWave's Mobile iPod/iPhone Mounting Kit - $32.95

http://www.boxwave.com/products/mobilemountingkit/index.htm

I can vouch for this product as I have used it for over a year with zero problems. It is built amazingly sturdy and the suction mechanism will affix itself to glass extremely well - in fact, it can be hard to remove!

2. A few strips of industrial strength Velcro. I picked these up at Fred Meyer for a few bucks, I am sure you can find a similar product at any hardware store.

3. A square shaped piece of glass that is large enough to fit the area of the Boxwave suction cup. What I used that worked PERFECTLY was a piece of glass that I took out of an old picture frame. Funnily enough, it was from a picture that an ex-girlfriend gave me :-D haha!

So, here is how I did it...

1. First I affixed the rough end Velcro (the hook side) to one side of the glass square. I cleaned the piece of glass with rubbing alcohol first to ensure a good stick.

2. Second, I affixed the smooth end of the Velcro to the area of my dashboard next to the instrument panel. I also cleansed this area with rubbing alcohol to make sure it was clean and the stick would last.

3. Third, I secured the square piece of glass onto my dash with the Velcro.

4. Lastly, I secured the BoxWave's Mobile iPod/iPhone Mounting Kit to the piece of glass! All done!

Here are all the pics of the finished set up!

The great thing about this set up is that it looks very, very clean and professional, and it is very secure. The iPod ends up in a great place, and almost blends in right along with the instrument panel. I couldn't be happier!

My only worry is that over time the adhesive on the Velcro will wear out due to the heat from the sun on the dash. I reccomend anyone who does this purchases some sort of window shade to place in the windshield to protect against the sun shining directly on the dash when you are not driving.

Hope that some of you might find this to be intuitive and helpful!

- matt -

MarkWard Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:30 pm

Would a peice of plexiglass or lexan have been a better choice over glass? I listen to talk radio, so I am behind the times with an IPod. Otherwise looks nice.

mr_vanagon Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:08 pm

This is a really good idea. I'd make only one change. I really like command adhesive from 3M for sticking stuff on the dash. For those unaware, it's essentially like really thin, really sticky styrofoam. When you want to remove it you pull on the edge of the stuff and the foam distorts, breaking the contact of the adhesive and leaving no residue. When I've mounted it on the vertical front of the dash it sticks for a few months and needs to be replaced but I've never used it in a horizontal mode. It might last longer and leave less sticky goo than the velcro.

Volksaholic Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:20 am

If you have an Ipod Touch with that mount and a Syncro you could use one of the accelerometer apps as a clinometer to measure pitch and roll.

cheekoman Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:24 am

I'm tellin' you...... Lovethedubs setup is a HOT one.....
Best part is you can close your ashtray when it's not in use and it looks bone stock. No wires, no adapters.

cheekoman Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:25 am

I took the idea from luvthedubs and couldn't be happier with it.
the ONLY issue I have is that it's a bit far away.. requires a tad of leaning to change tracks

mgoodwin Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:00 am

rsxsr wrote: Would a peice of plexiglass or lexan have been a better choice over glass? I listen to talk radio, so I am behind the times with an IPod. Otherwise looks nice.

possibly. I just knew that it suctioned to glass very well, and I found a piece of glass right away.

Thinking back, if the glass was circular, as in the same shape as the suction, that would have been even better.

But I am happy with it.

mgoodwin Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:01 am

mr_vanagon wrote: This is a really good idea. I'd make only one change. I really like command adhesive from 3M for sticking stuff on the dash. For those unaware, it's essentially like really thin, really sticky styrofoam. When you want to remove it you pull on the edge of the stuff and the foam distorts, breaking the contact of the adhesive and leaving no residue. When I've mounted it on the vertical front of the dash it sticks for a few months and needs to be replaced but I've never used it in a horizontal mode. It might last longer and leave less sticky goo than the velcro.

i thought about that, but as it is white, I didn't want to use a color that would clash with the color of the dash. If I ever need to take it off, a bit of goof-off will do the trick to remove the residual adhesive.

mgoodwin Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:03 am

cheekoman wrote: I'm tellin' you...... Lovethedubs setup is a HOT one.....
Best part is you can close your ashtray when it's not in use and it looks bone stock. No wires, no adapters.

that looks really nice!

Funnily enough, I had been shoving my iPod into my ash try as it was... hah.

I just wanted something closer to where I sit, so I can use it for GPS directions and music, etc.

redtail Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:43 pm

FWIW I bought a new alpine deck 6 months ago that has a full speed ipod link. I just hook my ipod up to the cable and let it live in the glove box, then control it directly through the deck. It even gets charged, so the only time I need to take it out (unless I want to use it elsewhere) is to change the music up. Not a bad deal for $200 I thought.

mightyart Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:05 pm

I put in a new Alpine yesterday.
It's a "mutimedia Receiver", No CD or tape player, but it does have USB for using and controling an mp3 player.
I just put the player in that little holder, and control everything from the radio.
Me and the wife have Creative Zen players, and we have a video Zen for camping.

here's the specs. on it.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=iDA-X200
I haven't used it enough to tell if I like it better then my old one.

aereo-van Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Quote: FWIW I bought a new alpine deck 6 months ago that has a full speed ipod link. I just hook my ipod up to the cable and let it live in the glove box, then control it directly through the deck. It even gets charged, so the only time I need to take it out (unless I want to use it elsewhere) is to change the music up. Not a bad deal for $200 I thought.

If the ipod is hooked up to the USB cable while the car is off, is it draining the battery?

redtail Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:03 am

tom eaton wrote: Quote: FWIW I bought a new alpine deck 6 months ago that has a full speed ipod link. I just hook my ipod up to the cable and let it live in the glove box, then control it directly through the deck. It even gets charged, so the only time I need to take it out (unless I want to use it elsewhere) is to change the music up. Not a bad deal for $200 I thought.

If the ipod is hooked up to the USB cable while the car is off, is it draining the battery?

Nope, it only charges when the stereo is powered all the way on. I did just realize though, with the ipod hidden in the glove box you can't really use it for maps or inclineometer jazz or anything like that. But I have an old style ipod without any of those features anyaway, so it doesn't bother me any. Cheers!