TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1.9L overhaul suggestions
ahollon Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:37 pm

I came across a 1.9L for $40 and I was wanting to get more power out when I rebuild it. I was wondering if anyone here as ever oversized one of these or any other ideas that someone may have.

tencentlife Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:42 pm

There's no practical way I know of to oversize a 1.9 on the standard crank. There might be some AA P&L sets in 95.5mm intended for the 1.9, I'm not sure, but their pistons always end up 1mm too low in the cylinder, so whatever small gain you make in displacement is offset by the lowered compression.

You can build a 2.1 or 2.2 in your 1.9 case. You will need to get a 2.1 crank, and some minor clearancing of the inside of the case is required to allow for the longer stroke. The 2.1 crank will spin in the same main bearings as the 1.9 crank. Then you can get the standard Mahle P&L set for a 2.1 so you end up with the right CR, or one of the AA or QSC P&L sets to go to a 2150 or 2.2, respectively. The problem with both of those sets is, once again, the compression height of the piston is too low, so you end up with the same low-CR problem, unless you do some other engineering. You can have custom over-length rods made to correct it, which is expensive and time-consuming. Or you can have a machinist mill 1mm off the heads' sealing surface only, but not the cylinder spigots, and put the heads on without the combustion sealing rings. That restores the deck clearance to the correct level where you will get the full CR, good squish, and the most power and cleanest burn from the conversion.

But really the best thing to do to a 1.9 is rebuild it stock and stick a turbo on it. They love that.