TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: vanagon ECU location
sandstonesloper Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:34 am

Hi Samba,
I am wondering where is the ecu located on an 86' Syncro? Is it difficult to remove the entire wiring harness and ecu withoutwithout having to cut it out?

sandstonesloper Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:39 am

Okay I did a search and found that it should be under the black metal box beneath the rear seat. Is this the same for westies and non-westies?

Dogpilot Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:19 am

It is in the same location with a difference in the mounting. The cable is very difficult to pass complete through the small hole. Most folk cut it, but if you carefully take apart the connector to the ECU and remove the shell and sheathing it may fit, provided you pop out the grommet first.

KYLE automotive spec Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:43 am

This is one area that I have worried about in the development of a replacement FI harness for the 2.1L. I have an 86 GL and the hole is very accessable. I have heard that the westy bench seat frame obstructs a portion of the hole creating difficulty. Now it sounds like the syncros are more difficult too. Is this because of the gas tank?

I am close to being able to offer this harness, but don't want people to have problems when trying to install it. Could some of you guys post some pics of the passthru on your westy and/or syncros so I can see what I am dealing with.

Thanks in advance,
KYLE