TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking at Buying Van: Need Advice
saltillolounge Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:34 am

I'm currently looking at buying an '82 Vanagon L Camper. The exterior is faded, has a dent in the sliding door and needs to be cleaned. The interior is all intact but once again needs cleaning. I drove it but the accelerator pedal would come off the rod. Later the guy selling it figured out it needed the rod replaced. He also said it leaks oil some if left sitting for a while. However, the engine sounded good while idling and putting around on the short test drive. I think the mileage is between 100k and 120k. It has had a valve job recently. I've been looking for one for a while and am really tempted to get this one. He said he'd sell it for $1500 as is with the accelerator problem. Do yall think this is worth it or does it sound like a lemon and perhaps I should heiighten my van awareness?

Perales Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:19 pm

Don't rush into anything. There are good vans out there to be had. The best thing you can do is follow your own advice from the last line of your question. If you are tempted, try to get it checked out by a knowledgeable mechanic first. An oil leak can sometimes mean trouble. These things can cost you a lot of money, even when they are in good shape. Take your time to edumacate yourself so you can make a wise decision.
Welcome to the Samba.
When you do get your van, you will be here a lot, In the meantime, read some of the past threads, especially in the STICKIES up top.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=151300

Lanval Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:52 pm

The price is OK, imo, for what you're buying (unknown engine, Air-Cooled, camper).

I would ask this though: Are you an "air-cooled guy"? If you like/prefer the older air-cooled engines, then you're probably OK, but if not ~ if you don't in some way LOVE the air-cooled concept, then I suspect you want to move up to a water-cooled version with the attendant power increase.

If you want a camper, but can't afford a water cooled version, then you may be OK; plan on becoming an "air-head" ~ working on your own vehicle is the only way to go. If you can't afford a water cooled, you certainly can't afford to pay someone else to do your air cooled engine work.

You might ask for some advice here, in general, by stating:

Why you want the van (what's your motivation)?
How much do you have to spend on this?
How much do you like working on older vehicles?
What do you plan to do with your camper?

This will help others identify what the best advice for you is, based on our own experiences.

Best,

Lanval