TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Listen to the good advice.... really
riosclass Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:56 pm

I bought my 86 pop up and a few months before and a few months after searched thru thread after thread learning more and more about my van.

I listened and ordered all the fuel lines and tank reseal kit, but then ordering them and installing them are two different stories.

I got lucky.

Last week I was gonna take my baby to work instead of my ever faithful 98 Honda Civic. I usually start up my cars for 2 o3 minutes while I load up. She started right up and I went in to get my backpack and lunch. I came out and smelled a bit of gas. But then VWs always smell a bit like gas, right? I went back in to get a box I was taking to work and when I opened the slider I really smelled the gas. I looked down and right in front of the rear right tire I had a nice puddle going!!! Stopped the car and loaded up the Honda.

So now my baby is out there patiently waiting to get her hoses et al, changed. But she is out there.

Thank you to all you die hards who are always chiding about the hoses. I see some posts that mock those that sign there posts.
"Change your fuel lines"

I want to say thank you. Although I haven't changed mine yet. Being aware of the delicate fuel situation has made me ever watchful and probably saved my bus from being one more horrible pic of a toasted van!

Thanx!!!

tencentlife Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:11 pm

I have a feeling you were about to propose a "toast", but thought better of it, no?

Rhinoculips Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:28 pm

A friend of a friend, just bought a weekender a few months ago. Last week it caught fire shortly after she started it up! Unfortunately, I just met her today and couldn't give her the sage advice I always tell new owners - change the lines before all else. Damn it! Luckily, she was able to put it out quickly, so damage is minimal.

DON'T DELAY IT ANY LONGER. CHANGE THOSE LINES NOW!