TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New fuel lines...bleeding etc
schoonerman Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:19 pm

I'm just about to install new fuel lines, filter in my 87 vanagon...my question is what's the correct way to bleed the air from the system???
plus, where to buy that plastic fitting which goes thru the fire wall
Thanks

Destructo Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:23 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't need to bleed the fuel system. After replacing your lines, cycle the fuel pump a few times by turning the key to the "on" position without cranking the engine. The fuel pump and pressure regulator should do their job properly. Then try turning it over. It might take a couple of tries but it will catch eventually.

erdonline Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:31 pm

That's what I'd do; or if you don't want to have to cycle the pump on and off so many times with the key, you can take out the fuel pump relay and jumper the connections for a half minute or so and make sure that all the air is out. You go to the box on the left side of the engine, with the two #53 relays. I think that it is the right side relay, and you jumper the top and bottom terminals. I just did it a few weeks ago, so I think my memory serves me ok on this, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the plastic fitting, Van-Cafe used to include them in their kit; someone said they don't have them anymore. Many people don't trust the plastic fitting anymore and eliminate it by using one piece of hose right through the firewall and use a rubber grommet there instead.

Ed in CT

dobryan Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:11 pm

No need to bleed the lines. I just did the fuel lines on an '87 and after about 30 seconds the air was gone and it was running normally.

schoonerman Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:48 pm

Thanks for all the info Guy's..it sure helps