TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sweeet'ass splitt 61 project :D Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Bendango Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:59 am

With in the next week or 2 this is getting picked up from the port. After months of waiting the excitement is almost to much.

I'll be keeping my progress on here.

Next picks - Collection day! :D :D :D :D :D : D: D

thom Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:26 am

Looks like you can just air up the tires and go.

Bendango Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:33 am

Apparently OG paint -( possible one re-spray or partial from fender bender) Going to be kept nice and OG just buff it out possibly.

Interior covered in wood paneling - OG front seat almost complete interior minus cab panels.

OG engine I think? rebuilt in 8o's.

In the back there is some kind of westphalia copy made by VW dealership in Texas back in 65. I'll have somefun with that later....

Loads of history, was featured in a camping magazine way back (65?)

I'M THE 2ND OWNER bar the dude who found it in Texas.

Now has fresh rubber that holds air - new battery - partial break overhall courtesy of seller.

I'll find the rest of the pics from the add later 2

:D

thom Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:41 am

So, will it be getting the "UK treatment?"

Bendango Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:43 am

What's the UK treatment? :)

I'm in S-france - first off it'll all be stock - get it up and running nicly.

Not sure if it'll go lower or 4x4 yet?

sled Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:50 am

thom wrote: So, will it be getting the "UK treatment?"

Im sure it will, some crazy disco camper interior and a bunch of gimmicky accessories on the outside! :wink:

bloovw Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:59 am

sled wrote: thom wrote: So, will it be getting the "UK treatment?"

Im sure it will, some crazy disco camper interior and a bunch of gimmicky accessories on the outside! :wink:

hell yeh lower it narrow beam it and paint it pink.... all us brits do it its the way forward.... :lol:

Bendango Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:03 am

? :roll: ?

stone e Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:10 am

burwin wrote:

? :roll: ? That is one excelent looking bus dude looks, as if it does not need much.Might need a little TLC.Waiting to see your out come and more pictures. keep on keepin on.Stone E

Bendango Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:43 pm

:D more as i find them :? [/img]

arthurnugen Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:46 pm

Very nice! Looks like you may have some rust issues in the roof, but that looks like it will buff out very easily. Looking forward to progress pics.

Oh, and please try to keep it stock. Just my opinion. :D

Arthur

EverettB Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:00 pm

Nice, that Bus is going to buff out to look awesome.

sled Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:04 pm

ahh yes I remember that bus...the seller did state it was a repaint..thats too bad. one less og swr kombi :(

the ad stated it was a genuine westalia camper kit, is it just a reproduction? or original?

it will look cool either way.

Bendango Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:06 pm

I'll just have to buff harder then till it's OG again :) I can see a little of the OG primer in other pics :D

Interiors some kind of reproduction by the VW dealership where it was sold based on wesfalia- I only saw a few pics of the back.

I'm kinda happy with this as I can have more fun without destroying an OG westy.

Basically standard Kombi........

8) 8) 8) 6 side pop outs!!! 8) 8) 8)

sled Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:13 pm

do you know what the m-code plate is?

Bendango Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:30 pm

no idea was just checking that tech stuff out earlier.......... all I've got is the vin for shipping

Bendango Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:39 am

A few more pics for anyone that can understand my excitement + the text from the add.

(i've decided I'm going to put every detail on here, as I always want to know more of other peoples projects on forums)

Now you know as much as me...the documents arrive from Texas today all I've got to do is get it :)

Minimal rust I recon :D

Hints of the respray - I'm happy to see it looking flakey - maybe no highbuild primer!

Not sure if it's OG but........could be?

Bendango Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:40 am

The complete add......

1961 Kombi Camper Price: Sale Pending Ben
One owner original Alpine, Texas bus. (west texas). I bought this bus from the original owner who bought the bus from the dealership in Alpine which was a basic Kombi, sealing wax red bus. He and the dealership converted the Kombi into a westy SO 23 camper style based on westy blue prints and instruction manuals. I have most of the original SO westy manuals used by the dealership and they are in mint condition unlike the interior. Some of the wood inside the camper took moisture do to insulation was put behind the panels.I have all of the receipts dating back to 1965 on everything ever done to the bus. In 1967 the bus had a fender bender and the bus was resprayed back to it's original color of sealing wax red. The bus is really dry with the exception of a couple of areas: both outter rockers and two surface rust areas on the front part of the roof. The front and cargo floors are good, inner rockers,doglegs, jack points, outriggers, cross members battery are in great condition.I would buff the paint and just drive it. According to the owner and the receipts the engine was overhauled in 1983 and he drove the bus until 1985 were it was parked in the garage up until I bought it.The camper was featured in a camping magazine back in 1965 and that will be included with the bus when the owner mails it to me. I will get the bus running, some brake work, new battery and tires for my asking price. the price may go up as I get more work done to it. I have the original Texas title and tons of receipts. I live in a port city and can deliver for free. Shipping cost paid by buyer. Note: Will take partial trade on a early ragtop or vert beetle running and driving.

We'll see what I've actually got in a few days :D

arthurnugen Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:47 am

That will be so much fun! Makes me cringe though to see that bare rim on the steel of the flatbed. Hope the wheels are not trashed when you get it.

Bendango Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:49 am

The guy I've got it from is very well known in the scene, I'm sure he's taken good care.

I want to mention him once I see it as he's been a top guy to deal with. If it ends up as good as it looks I can give him a full recommendation :D