TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front seat differences and identification Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
buck Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:47 am

I just found myself a '57 panel that is missing a front seat. I'm wondering what the differences are between the front seats, or actually what year benches will fit this bus? Thanks. It is not a walk through.

thom Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:54 am

You want a flat seat, but any of the bench seats will fit, with the possible exception of the 'hump' seat - I thought those would fit but I recently read something to the contrary.

House Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:07 am

You are correct Thom, a hump seat will fit, it would just be sloppy
in the holes. It is the other way around where you would have to
grind the crap out of the seat tabs for it to fit...

///Mink Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:36 am

Along the same lines, is the flat back seat base the same as the later (58-60) seat base?

Aiko Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:10 pm

[BUCK] In my opinion, do everything you can to find the correct thin flat back seat, you will be much happier with it. My early 57 single cab came with a later humpback seat installed by previous owner and the fit was sloppy, overhang of base too far, back portion put me closer to dash, base height wedged my knees against steering wheel.

A split panel bus may be a complete different situation though and you might be able to run a more common humpback. I can only speak to the 57 SC set up. Also, be prepared for time and $$$ when seeking an OG 57 front, took me awhile to find one.

I rolled the hump as-is for a long time until I scored an OG thin flat back correct seat from another 57 single cab and the difference was night and day !!

[MINK] As for differences, I just e-mailed you a bunch of photos showing the humpback base versus the OG 57 thin flat back seat base.

///Mink Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:15 pm

Aiko wrote:
[MINK] As for differences, I just e-mailed you a bunch of photos showing the humpback base versus the OG 57 thin flat back seat base.

Thanks for the pics, Glen. They answered my question (in the negative, unfortunately). :D

House Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Aiko wrote: more common humpback.

Interesting point. Is a humpback more common than a flat back?
I think it may be the other way around...?

Aiko Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:44 pm

House wrote: Aiko wrote: more common humpback.

Interesting point. Is a humpback more common than a flat back?
I think it may be the other way around...?

All I know is that I was searching for a correct 57 flat back bench seat for a long time in the classifieds and local shows and I saw a lot more hump back bench seats for sale than I did flat backs. Also, the price difference was a lot higher [double to triple] for OG flat backs than humpbacks.

I guess in reality, all early front and middle seats are considered pretty uncommon though.

thom Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:26 am

The last flat back I sold went to Lou for $60 - at the time I knew they were special, but didn't know how valuable.

buck Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:58 pm

so this seat would be correct then since it is not a hump seat??
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=650230

EverettB Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:10 pm

Correct for 58-60 (actually early '61).

$350 is high for what is basically a frame.

sled Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:10 pm

nope. a 57 backrest should be totally flat. a 59/60 seat does not have the hump, but it does have a curved backrest to fit the shape of a persons lower back.

buck Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:18 pm

I figured that seat was high, it is james21 8) . So basically what I am looking for is a 57 down seat? :?

EverettB Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:20 pm

Yes, basically.

sled Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:21 pm

basically thats the basics of it.

///Mink Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:23 pm

///Mink wrote: Aiko wrote:

Thanks for the pics, Glen. They answered my question (in the negative, unfortunately). :D

Revisiting this thread - yesterday I had the opportunity to place a flat back seat base right next to a '58 curved back seat base and they looked absolutely identical in every possible way. I really think the only difference is in the seat back.

Snoop Bob Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:36 pm

So basically, what you're basically saying is, they're basically different. 8)

///Mink Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:06 pm

Snoop Bob wrote: So basically, what you're basically saying is, they're basically different. 8)

No, they're basically the same, but backically different. :)

Snoop Bob Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:12 pm

///Mink wrote: Snoop Bob wrote: So basically, what you're basically saying is, they're basically different. 8)

No, they're basically the same, but backically different. :)

Ha...good one.

Culito Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Hmmm...I wonder if I should try an earlier seat back in my hump-back '62. I could really use a few more inches of room between me and the dash.