TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Self bleeding Coolant set up???
a914622 Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:33 pm

Iv read most of the bleed technics on this forum and Iv come to a question not run into yet.

Has any one ran a line from the radiator top , to the input on the pressure tank and returned into the heater return? A self-bleeding system like the rest of the VWs and Audis. I had a rare moment of clearty wile changing the lines on my subi install.

Would this work? Any down falls?

thanks for the input jcl

tencentlife Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:19 pm

Seems like a pretty good idea, actually. Keep the hose small and tap it into a location with good flow and suction, and it would probably work. The reason for the small hose is to keep fluid velocity fast in it so any air is hurried along without a chance to separate out. The heater return could work, but there is only rapid flow in that circuit when the front heater valve is open. It would draw some fluid out of the rad top all the time, but I think the flow might be too sluggish that way to be really effective. If you tapped the heater supply side near the front, and ran a parallel small-bore hose to a tee on the rad top and then to the heater return, fluid would flow in there all the time regardless, and pretty fast after a cold startup with the heater valves closed.