TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Exhaust bracket/hanger almost done. Question. PICS.
Vanagon Nut Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi all.

I wrote earlier regarding failed exhaust (muffler) supports on my I4 conversion (Jetta 2.0) I was kindly advised that engine vibrations had taken their toll and was given suggestions on better designs for the supports. Because of the vibrations, I decided to build some diesel Vanagon type supports instead.

The first image shows the driver side brackets/hangers. The hanger on the engine block bracket is installed as per Bentley (more or less).

But.....

Although possibly due to the fact that there are 2 bonded rubber hangers involved, the driver side engine side hanger feels a bit wobbly as compared to the passenger side bracket/hanger. Not trying to re-invent the wheel but since I don't have the driver side engine mount bracket to attach to (this is a 15 degree install) and had to make up my own, I'm not sure of exactly how this hanger mounts. So.....

Question:

Would this hanger be more stable if installed at 90 degrees to the engine block? (same as hanger on RH side of image) The passenger side feels more stable in this position hence my curiosity.

Would be nice to know before doing all the final welds. Even if I don't change it though, it should be a better set up than before!

Thanks!

Neil.

Close up of same:

Looking up at Passenger side: