TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Stuck down by the river. No...I really am!
Harp7 Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm

well the van made it about 2 miles from home, but it was struggling so i had to abandon it and walk home to get the neglected VW (2007 GTI) :lol: :lol: . It was running like crap and wouldn't hold idle as documented here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=321507

i suspected the coolant temp sensor went bad on me. With it disconnected it will hold idle and rev no problem, but will sputter and struggle when trying to drive it. is this a symptom of a bad CTS? or am i just masking another problem by unplugging it and getting it to idle? fuel pressure checks out at 29/36 according to bentley. let me know asap. need to try and fix this on the side of the road tonight.

tencentlife Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:33 am

I think you said in your other post that you had replaced the CTS (or Temp2), but yes, they are often bad on the shelf. Bentley, if you have one, has resistance-to-temp tables you can check yours against with an ohmmeter. Or just stick in another one. I also mentioned before that the FI is really sensitive to the quality of the connection there.

Did you try bypassing the DIS?

By the way, always put the year of your van in your posts (add a sig line with it is what most people do). Just makes it easier to know which systems and equipment you're dealing with. We get to read a lot of posts and it's hard to keep straight who has what.

Harp7 Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:39 am

sorry...83 WBX

Here's the deal. I'm lost.

Installed a new coolant temp sensor yesterday and still the same problem. I've been checking everything and it seems to be clear. plugged idle stabilizer plugs together...nothing, so thats good. fuel pressure good at 29/36, injectors good to go, fuel filters...new, idle/full throttle switches both check out. sparks good with new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter. air regulator checks out according to bentley.

this is killing me. it really feels like a fueling issue, but i'm up for checking anything. i still need to check out air temp sensor and.....??? what could be causing such a problem that it won't even hold idle/run?? what's really driving me crazy is it was driving fine then just wouldn't run the following morning. any ideas??

Harp7 Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:22 pm

nothing? really?

tencentlife Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:20 am

The best way to have your problem ignored is to begin a new thread when your problem in an older thread is unresolved. It's much easier to follow along with a problem and what has been suggested to fix it already if you just keep adding to the original thread. I know when I have to go find the old one to follow the timeline, I basically think "well too bad for this guy; he made it too hard to help. I do this for fun, but having to search and jump back and forth feels too much like work."

Maybe you're new to this type of forum, but if you want more attention to get help, even months later, just add a new comment, saying "bump" if nothing else. That moves you back to the top of the list and you'll get noticed.

Or pick a teeny tiny typeface and do the little Vincent Price plea at the end of the original "The Fly", when the spider is stalking him: "help meee. help meeee."