TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Syncro Logo Placement
Adventurewagen Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:11 pm

I just bought an 86 Syncro and have the "Syncro" and "4WD" logo's on the way in the mail. The exising logo's were mostly removed and I need some help making sure I place the new logo's exactly where the factory installed one went.

Could somebody measure out for me where the Syncro and 4WD go on their Syncro? I think two measurements for each should be enough and something down to about a 1/16th of an inch should be good.

I'd just like to get the placement right where the factory originally put them instead of just slapping them on in about the right spot.

Thanks!

Dogpilot Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:35 am

Somebody did go out and measure theirs on another post this summer. For the life of me I cannot find it. I would give you measurements, but it is stored in the hanger at the moment. Here is a couple of pics of mine:

Adventurewagen Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Thanks for the pics Dogpilot. I searched as well figuring it was something that would have been covered but can't find anything either.

So... Anybody with a Syncro that can still get the measurements would be great.

Also, I like your front grill with the round lights. What year did they start putting those grills on? Do you know if I can swap out my square light grill with a round light grill like yours?

I've seen some really nice HID lights I'd like to put in but would need the round front grill.

Adventurewagen Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:01 pm

My new stickers just came in the mail...

And im DYING to put them on. I've searched for the elusive post on the Logo measurements, but nothing.

I just need somebody to measure out where the Syncro and/or 4WD goes on your bus.

Dogpilot Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:09 pm

The South African Grill is available from many sources. Mine used to be squares as well.

Sources

Like here for example:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_226_141/south_african_grill_kit.html

And Here:

http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=1495

The stickers are centered within the panel detail vertically the 4 in 4WD is aligned with the edge of the windwing chrome. The O in Syncro is aligned with the windshield wiper post. It was how mine where before paint, so I put them back that way. Now you may encounter some VW gestapo sticker police, but there is no written data so...

I have a warbird, which when I build up enough patience, I take to airshows. We are graded on paint, stickers, guns , cleanliness, authenticity, blah blah blah. You have to have the documentation to prove your paint is correct and the markings are authentic and other such nonsense. I have a letter from the Naval Aviation Museum concerning my paint job. My aircraft is painted to be like a buddy of mine from Nam. He was at Marble Mountain and they painted there's that way. The letter basically states that the Marines that where in the field pretty much painted their airplanes anyway they wanted with whatever materials they had, so his paint job is as authentic as it can be, as it could be nearly anything.

What I do have is a photo of Bob flipping me off, flying over Nam, in a dog painted like mine. So proof is where you can get it.

RGS Paul Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Can't help with the side stickers, I have an '87. The Syncro on the nose is 2" from the apex of the O to the edge of the seam where the nose ends and the corner begins, 3.5" from the top of the O to the top of the flat section of the nose, and 3.4375" (7/16ths) from the top of the S to the top of the flat section of the nose. Clear as mud? I hope this helps, as long as you are close no one will notice.

Good Luck!

Paul