TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Tach Attack!!
coldwater_diver Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:11 pm

Ok, so I have a 1988 Westy with a fresh 2.1 that is sounding amazing!
I have been trying to hook up a Sunpro tach to it all day! Argh, took the 1st on back because the needle just went around and around and around. The second one because it didnt even move. The third is sitting in the Van wires hanging out just waiting to be hooked up.
The red goes to a Fuse block, Black to ground, White to lights, the green has been hooked directly to the coil (-) side and to the wiring harness in the dash to the green wire # 9, both with no results.

Any advice? I am thinking of getting an Autometer tomorrow, see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Phil G Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:37 am

Am I missing something here? . . . what happened to the van's OEM tach?

They are reliable, accurate enough, and already installed.

But again, I'm probably missing something here . .

coldwater_diver Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:38 pm

Well I wish I had a Tach!!!
The 88 westy didnt come with one in the dash. I know folks talk about switching out the dash etc but I cant seem to find one to swap with, plus I already drilled the holes to mount a big ole monster tach on the dash.
I found Equus has an inductive pick up tach available the only problem is that the wire for the pick p is too short.
The Hall checked out OK and the motor runs great! I just want to keep it that way and to be able to set the timing according to the instructions, by watching the tach and checking the dwell at 2500rpm etc.
Any ideas?????
I just tried a VDO today, regular pick up, green to the negative side of the coil etc.....verga! nada, nothing it just sat above the 0 mark. I sure hope the inductive can be made with a longer wire!!!!!