TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: towing capacity
birks Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:32 pm

I currently have a 1992 Westy EuroVan and of course it is not always the easiest thing to find info on as most people only have info on the 1993 which should be the same. So my question is does anyone know the towing capacity of a 1992 or 93 westy. I am trying to figure out if I can tow a utility trailer with two maybe even three motorcycles on it. Three is probably pushing it as they would probably be around 600lbs each wet. So I figure about 1500lbs with trailer. Can this be done?

Birks

j_dirge Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:56 am

birks wrote: Can this be done?

Birks
yes.

Its pushing the upper limits of tow capacity and its ability to maintain freeway speeds on much grade, but its very do-able.

Keep your brakes well maintained. Slowing the vehicle is arguably the bigger issue than the power to pull.

camo westy Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:46 pm

You are fine at 1500 pounds, OK up to 3000 pounds.

Be careful, pracctice panic stops. Do remember, speed going down hill will take much longer to stop. If the trailer starts to sway while braking, you are going to fast, and you may be about to have the trailer drive the van. I had a swaying trailer spin my overwhelmed tow vehicle around 90 degrees at 65 mph.... My tow vehicle was about 1600 pounds and was towing about 4000 pounds --- aw yes, poor decisions of my youth.

I have a friend who tows vanagons home with his 84 Westy all the time.

MsTaboo Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:33 pm

You may want to consider a trailer with electric brakes. The set up is a little more complicated, brake controller needs to be wired into the cab, but much safer.
I have a small 16 ft. travel trailer I tow with a toyota tacoma, about 1900 lbs. Even towing with the truck it can sometimes get a little hairy going downhill, or panic stops. The electric brakes make a huge difference! Much better control.

birks Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:08 am

thanks these where some of the things I was thinking about as I live in Western Canada and drive through the rocky mountains a lot.

Thanks again
Birks