TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Has anyone done business with Second Skin?
RCB Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:33 am

They advertise here on the Samba and Im interested in what you thought of the products you might have used.

H2O-Box Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:39 am

I haven't used their products but from what I hear on the audio forums that I am on they sell high quality produts that are very effective.

B-

Jon_slider Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:35 am

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

RCB Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:43 pm

I placed an order with them for the Heat Wave Pro and their foil insulation tape. After 26 years, the insulation on the engine deck lid has gone bye-bye. This seemed to be the ideal replacement.
Once Ive gone ahead and installed it Ill get back with my results.
Not only do I hope for a quieter ride but the insulation will cut down on the heat thats now present in the rear of the Westy.

1621 Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:46 pm

I've used both Second Skin and RAAMat. Both offer excellent products and customer service. You can't go wrong with either one, and in my estimation, their sound insulation products are among the best I've encountered.

82WestyMan Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:09 pm

I've used the Spectum and the Deamplifier for all my inner body panels
http://82westy.com/pic_pages/15_SoundDeaden.htm
(scroll down... in the middle on the right is a link to a WAV file to hear the difference it made)
I have a second order in with them for a bit more Deamplifier and some MotorMat to replace the crappy old foam up above the trans before I put in my oil cooler

can't recommend them and their products enough ...
wish i had known about it when i built my last 'quiet' computer case...
but i'll use it on the next one

second skin rep Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:41 pm

If you have any questions, feel free to call me:

623-533-8193
You can also send an email
[email protected]

ANT
www.secondskinaudio.com

tsombrero1 Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:06 pm

I just got done coating the wheel wells with spectrum spread. It's kinda like peanut butter (creamy). They say to use a spackle knife or something like that but I just put on a nitrile glove and slapped it on. Worked great.

As for sound deadening, I'll get back to you. It certainly won't hurt, and I like that it's outside the cabin so I don't have another layer of padding underneath the carpet.

second skin rep Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:08 pm

For the wheel wells most of our customers will use 1 gallon to do all 4.
Best is 2 gallons for all 4 though.

Keep in mind that sludge takes 30 days to cure.
The sound deadening results will continue to increase as the month goes on!

ANT
www.secondskinaudio.com

RCB Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:19 pm

Im going to get that same product for my wheel wells. Is the viscosity as such, that you can move it around a little and make it smooth. Did you have to prep the wheel wells in any way?? Some of the factory material is still on my wheel wells and I was just going to scrape off what comes off easy and then just apply it. For application purposes,
I was first thinking of a cheep brush but I like the idea of the glove better.

second skin rep Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:48 am

We have two versions of the same coating for vibration damping.
Spectrum and Sludge

Spectrum has the viscosity of chocolate syrup, and can be sprayed, or painted with a brush or roller.

Sludge is the paste version of the same product. It has the viscosity of peanut butter. Too thick to spray, so you have to use a putty knife, Or slip on a rubber glove and spread it around by hand.

Here is a link to the category page on our site:
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/products/Sound-Deadener-Sound-Barriers.php

Hope that helps!

ANT

RCB Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:45 pm

Today I removed what was left of the factory installed engine deadening material and replaced it with the Heat Wave Pro I got from Second Skin.
One small roll was enough to do both sides ofmy 82 Westy and Im very happy with the results. Not only does it greatly reduce the engine noise in the cab but it really does a super job of reducing the heat on the engine lid itself.
At first I thought I would have to double up the pieces but one piece fit just like a glove.
Once I was done I had a few square inches of material left over.
Also since I didnt need to splice anything together, or attach two pieces together I didnt need to use any of the tape I bought.
It might come in handy for another application but for replacing the material on the engine lid I didnt need any.
All in all I would recommentd this product for what it was intended, on a scale of 1 to 10 I cant help but give it a 10, it did everything it was advertised to do.
PS the price was right too, the shipping and packageing couldnt get any better either.

second skin rep Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:21 pm

Did you first apply a vibration damper like Damplifier or Spectrum?
We always reccomend treating the structure borne noise prior to treating the airborne.
Gald you are happy with the results!

ANT

RCB Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:27 pm

Nope, I just trimmed the product to its exact fit and left a bit over hang just in case I needed it. I removed the wire clamps that held on the factory stuff and reused them on the newer Heat Wave Pro.
That product is so dense I didnt think it needed any thing else to work. For my application it worked just like it was intended .