TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Starter Motor from FLAPS
JoshG Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:31 pm

(Clearly a day for starter motor questions.)

It appears mine is dead too.

Would you purchase a reman. starter motor from your local auto parts supplier?

Is the quality likely to be the same/better/worse than any of our favorite internet sources?

Also, anything to pay particular attention to when putting in the new one?

Thanks.

wasserbox Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:51 pm

JoshG wrote: (Clearly a day for starter motor questions.)

It appears mine is dead too.

Would you purchase a reman. starter motor from your local auto parts supplier?

Is the quality likely to be the same/better/worse than any of our favorite internet sources?

Also, anything to pay particular attention to when putting in the new one?

Thanks.

I got mine from thepartsbin.com, but it looks like these guys have a better price on it right now...

http://www.autohausaz.com/index.html

Sometimes cheaper than Bus sources, sometimes more expensive, but worth adding to your search list. Quick shipping, etc...

I would think it very likely that all these places get them from the same source. I doubt there are magical Bosch-certified vanagon gnomes rebuilding starters specifically for our online vendors.

But you never know, do you?

erdonline Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:53 pm

Some are 3/4 hp and some are 1 hp, I believe. I can't remember the part numbers, but I believe that the 1.9 used the 3/4 and the 2.1 used the 1 hp, although they are interchangeable.

Bosch units usually come with a 2-yr warranty and roadside assistance if you show that your starter was at fault. They're around $120 to $160. Supposedly Bosch does the rebuild and it's a quality job.

Autozone has theirs for $95 with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser. Some like the lifetime warranty and low cost; others have said that they have had to replace their "lifetime" starters several times. You've got to decide. They only list one, so I'm not sure if it's the 3/4 or 1 hp model.

It's a good idea to replace the starter bushing at the same time.

Regarding Autozone parts- I broke down and needed a new alternator on the road a few weeks ago. Autozone had it, and cheap. It may not be the rbest rebuild, but I'm leaving it in until something happens, and I'll get it replaced for free under warranty. It took me an hour to do the alternator, and probably would take me less than 40 minutes to do it again.

Ed in CT

Wildthings Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:35 pm

The 1 hp starter is often cheaper than the 3/4 hp one. There is no problem with swapping the larger starter for the smaller one.

JoshG Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:50 am

Thanks Ed.

I am getting one from AutoZone ($115.00 up here in MA but that is still tough to beat and no shipping charges either).

Could you tell me what the "starter bushing" is that you recommeded replacing at the same time?

Josh

erdonline Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:30 am

I believe $115 is with the core charge. You'll get $20 back when you bring back your old stater.

OK, I don't remember the proper names for these things, but the starter bushing is a brass sleeve that goes in between the rod on the end of the starter and the hole in the transmission. From what I understand, you can either push it into the transmission where is apparently is harmlessly ground up, or use a tap to pull it out. There is probably a post here or on the Vanagon mailing list that describes it better.

Here is a picture. They're less than $1.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/imageexpand.aspx?imageurl=../secure/PartImages/113301155.jpg

Ed in CT