TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: WBX rebuild questions.
skramyrral Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:40 pm

I am putting together a 82 vanagon water cooled engine. I have a few questions.
1. Why does it say in the manual, "Caution , Do not use click type torque wrench".
2. is a sealant used on cylinder o-rings? if yes what?
3. What sealant do you use under case and head nuts?
4. what sealant do you use under the rubber head gasket? is a sealant used on the combustion chamber ring?
Thanks for your help.

glutamodo Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:14 pm

I think the Elring brand head installation kits should still come with the correct various sealants.

No click type wrenches - I think the "click", with it's momentary change in torque, is potentially detirimental to the sealing or torquing process - they want a smooth steady torque applied, not an abrupt one that suddenly "clicks out" so to speak. I'm not sure how big a deal it really is though.

ftp2leta Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:45 am

skramyrral wrote: I am putting together a 82 vanagon water cooled engine. I have a few questions.
1. Why does it say in the manual, "Caution , Do not use click type torque wrench".
2. is a sealant used on cylinder o-rings? if yes what?
3. What sealant do you use under case and head nuts?
4. what sealant do you use under the rubber head gasket? is a sealant used on the combustion chamber ring?
Thanks for your help.

82 water cool??? Something is wrong here!

1- Already answered
2- Which O-ring? The flex one (green and black) or the top head gasket one? Anyway, here is my blend:
-Lower black o-ring: Permatex Anaerobic Gasket maker (the red stuff)
-Top green O-ring: Grease
-Head gasket / inner / the metal o-ring: I use a bit of Permatex Aviation part A, mostly to hold this one there wile putting the head on.
-Head nuts: The right stuff
-Case: Permatex Aviation part A and B, A alone is also fine, Dirko is ok over there. Any good mating surface gasket is fine.
-Outer head gasket: The Right Stuff, on each side of this one.

All part SHOULD be carefully clean with brake cleaner to remove any oil residue before applying any of the stuff. A small oil residue on the outer head gasket and the job is scrap. The right stuff won't bound is any oil residue is present:

http://www.benplace.com/amc_head/amc8.jpg

Some may tell you that anything you pust on the combustion ring / head gasket will not stay there due to high temperature. Mmmm... i also thought so before, but it's not true.

Lately i had to do a head back on an engine i did 2 years ago, head cracked. The sleeve where stuck to the head, both one.
The Permatex Aviation part A was still there and the ring and sleeve where glued togheter. So anywat, it doesn't arm anything to put a small coat there.

Good luck
Ben

tencentlife Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:40 am

All of the questions have been covered in detail in previous threads. Use da soich!