TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear wiper question.
meyervw Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:26 pm

I don't have one but have been thinking of putting one back in it. However how does the rear one work? DOes it have its own swich? I may have to go look at the owners manual but I am lazy.

larrytrk Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:04 pm

Runs from existing wiper switch, push forward to engage and hold to spray rear washer!

woggs1 Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:50 pm

larrytrk wrote: Runs from existing wiper switch, push forward to engage and hold to spray rear washer!

How do you turn off the intermittent rear wiper?

[email protected] Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:54 pm

woggs1 wrote: larrytrk wrote: Runs from existing wiper switch, push forward to engage and hold to spray rear washer!

How do you turn off the intermittent rear wiper?

push it forward again.

markz2004 Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:00 pm

I have never been able to turn on/off my rear wiper without spraying the water. Is this the case for everyone?

Bruce Wayne Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:21 pm

Quote: I have never been able to turn on/off my rear wiper without spraying the water. Is this the case for everyone?

same here.

larrytrk Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:14 am

markz2004 wrote: I have never been able to turn on/off my rear wiper without spraying the water. Is this the case for everyone?
No. Mine works fine with quick gentle thrust. Push and hold to spray!

tencentlife Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:39 am

The switching feature is probably integral to the stalk switch you already have, but the switch just activates a controller relay that does the intermittent function. So you would have to have the controller, too.

Nice thing is, VW has almost always used a single wiring harness in every iteration of a year/model, regardless of equipment, so the wires, socket for the controller, etc., are probably already there.

You would need to install the rear washer tank/pump unit, and run hose up the D-pillar and into the rear door. Rear wipers are about useless around here without the sprayer, as the window is always covered with a thick layer of road dust. Might not be so bad where you live.

meyervw Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 pm

tencentlife wrote: The switching feature is probably integral to the stalk switch you already have, but the switch just activates a controller relay that does the intermittent function. So you would have to have the controller, too.

Nice thing is, VW has almost always used a single wiring harness in every iteration of a year/model, regardless of equipment, so the wires, socket for the controller, etc., are probably already there.

You would need to install the rear washer tank/pump unit, and run hose up the D-pillar and into the rear door. Rear wipers are about useless around here without the sprayer, as the window is always covered with a thick layer of road dust. Might not be so bad where you live.
Most of mine is there. I have the tank and rear pump. However the pump for both front and rear are siezed up. I have not pulled the panel to see if the parts are still there. It may be only the outside parts that are missing. I will pull it apart tomarrow and see, then report back.