TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vanagon interior upholstery
sendjonathanmail Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:54 pm

Looking into buying a Vanagon, but it needs interior work, where can I get new upholstery for the seats (i.e take off the old cover and put on a new one?) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

freshintulsa Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:21 pm

try sew fine. they advertise here on the samba and have EXCELLENT stuff. everything you need, seats, carpets, door panels, headliner. they are the best!!!

rockfish Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:27 pm

http://www.sewfineproducts.com/

http://www.sewfineproducts.com/catalogs.html

sendjonathanmail Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:23 pm

thanks guys for the quick responses! I am ordering a catalog from them to see what kind of stuff they offer. Has anyone previously redone a vanagon interior? What is a ballpark estimate of cost for redoing all the seating areas, the rear area and the poptop mattress, if that is even covered. Thanks!

camo westy Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:46 pm

The Sew Fine Catalog is online, they will send 'swatchs' if you call them.
Their price list is online too.

I recovered all my seats, armrests, and ordered a bit of extra fabric and covered the sliding door panel, and replaced the rotted cordury center panels on the front doors myself.

Sewfine is a great supplier.
The front seats are a bit time consuming to recover, allow an evening per seat, replace the wire that holds the panels taunt (you'll see what I mean).

Rear seats are easy (no wire).

Arm rests are easy, follow the online instructions... great idea of plastic bag cover to allow sliding the new fabric....

Vanaganistan Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:27 pm

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I just started gutting my Westie for a full interior redo. I'm going to use Sewfine and will post photos.

IdahoDoug Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:51 pm

Looking forward to it. A fresh interior is an amazing thing. I'd be interested in your verbal thoughts while you are installing the new covers if it comes to that. Mainly because I would also tackle this.

DougM

djkeev Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:39 am

I have installed and documented SewFine's interior and installation.
This link and following pages........

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=260

I am very pleased with the company, the product and especially with the end results!

BTW, I'm in NW NJ, contact me if you want to see my covers.

You can get virtually any style or color but I think with my stoic English Blood......... that we're afraid of color! :oops:

Dave

GreggK Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:38 am

I support sewfine as well. Ive used their products over the years and only have positive things to say.

1vw4x4 Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:11 am

sendjonathanmail wrote: Looking into buying a Vanagon, but it needs interior work, where can I get new upholstery for the seats (i.e take off the old cover and put on a new one?) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't state what year / model vanagon this is. I have found that stock
hardtop vanagons had some of the best materials. Therefore you may find
that the interior can easily be cleaned. I've also found the weekenders, to be
the worst. Every one I've seen is dry rotted and ripped. SOme times its
a lot easier to replace the seats rather than recover them. So, shop around.
Lots of options out there.

Gnarlodious Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:22 am

You can’t go wrong with Sewfine. Show up at their Denver shop and you can see all the old VW vans they are restoring.