TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Speaker Systems
Grefiti Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:04 pm

I did some searching on the fourm but couldn't find any real help so thought I would just ask. I am about to install a new system in my 83 westy. It still has the orginal speakers but also has a 300 watt amp and a crappy deck. I am thinking of replaceing all of the 4" with polks and then putting a 10" sub under the back seat, and then some three ways in the trunk door. I dout this is the best soloution but that is why I am asking.

Thanks for the help, Morgan

tsombrero1 Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:21 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me. I've taken a different approach-- trying to get the most out of 6" drivers in the stock location-- but the mids are lacking even after stepping up to a more expensive speaker and 150x2 amp. Yesterday I found this article and I'm going to give it a try:

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/content.php?contentID=19

Basically sealing up the big access holes in the door is supposed to help out with the lower end. Also mounting the speaker to the solid door frame rather than our flimsy cardboard door panels helps a lot. But you have to deaden the door really well.

Will let you know how it goes... Part 1 of my adventure is here btw: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256415

GWTWTLW Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:26 pm

My old van had a set of 4 inch Polk seperates in the door and an 8 inch Bazooka tube under the rear seat. I just installed the 4 inch Polks (db401) with a boozaka in my new van. The sound is very good - especially if you can cut the bass to the 4 inchers. My old head unit had a high pass filter. I need to get bass blockers for my new set. They just can't reproduce the bass very well but with a good sub, you don't want them to anyway. Let the sub handle the lows.

Grefiti Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:06 pm

ok so I should block all bass to the speakers, thats easy enough. However, with the two 6 by 9s in the back, does anyone have any expirence with doing that? I am planning to just put them on hinges so durring the summer I can just leave the trunk open and let the sound come right out. Anyone have expirence with putting these speakers in?

Thanks, Morgan