TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Strange Oil Leak caused while trying to change oil
Cubscout Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:39 am

That's the headline for today.

Next to the oil filter on my 85' vanagon gl, there's a very very large bolt that's clearly leaking oil. It looks like an enormous flat head screwdriver would be needed to unscrew it.

Stupid me, I was changing my oil unsupervised when I thought somehow that loosening that screw would help me remove my oil filter. Please, don't spit on me.

Now I've tightened it as much as possible, but it's not sealed, and now it drips and drips.

What could be some sealant methods here? A really really big screwdriver? Have I destroyed some seal?

dang.

any advice appreciated whether or not I deserve it.

James

tschroeder0 Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:50 am

Ok, no big deal...

what you have underneath (really above) that big plug is the iol pressure relief valve, that is, a WASHER, then a big spring etc...

Now if you removed it did you accidently not put the washer back in? these are notorious for having a drip of oil on them, but should not drip,drip,drip.

Check to make sure it's there, if not you will have to give the dealer a call to find the size of the washer, I looked through my bentley and can't find it. Maybe some else will chime in and have it.

If you do have it in there you may still just need a new one and you also have to tighten this with the correct (big) size flat screwdriver, Todd.

Wildthings Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:57 am

Take a large flat washer and grind it down so that it fits the slot tightly, and then use a pair of vise grips to hold the washer and give you leverage. A new seal may be in order, but a very judicious amount of silicone or other sealant would work too.

Cubscout Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure if there was already a missing washer, but I've found the problem is that part of the spring is caught on part of the bolt, creating a small amount of space no matter how tight I can make it.

Unfortunately if I try to unscrew it to try and poke it back in, lots and lots of oil comes out. Obviously, right?
I suppose I have to wait and fix this the next time I change my oil...i.e. soon

for now it's just a steady leak.

Wildthings Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:58 pm

Cubscout wrote: Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure if there was already a missing washer, but I've found the problem is that part of the spring is caught on part of the bolt, creating a small amount of space no matter how tight I can make it.

Unfortunately if I try to unscrew it to try and poke it back in, lots and lots of oil comes out. Obviously, right?
I suppose I have to wait and fix this the next time I change my oil...i.e. soon

for now it's just a steady leak.

Fix it now. What is worth more, 4ish quarts of oil or your engine?

tencentlife Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:51 pm

Just catch the oil in a clean vessel and put it back. No big deal.

It's a big crush washer and you can buy it individually:

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/smartlist_705/hardware.html

Get a new spring while you're at it; you need it, I promise.