TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Pass brake inspection Failed the light inspection.
meyervw Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:14 pm

Bummer. So I brought Gustav home in disapointment. The hazards are inop as are the rear side markes and rear lic plate lighte. I look for common power and ground, none. It would be odd to have all 4 bulbs blow upbut. I take all 4 out and they are all blown. Also the holders for the side markers are in bad shape. So I get new bulbs and all but the left rear marker work. Not bad. Now to the hazards. I flip the switch and the turn signal green bulb lights up. Thats it. I look at the fuse and it looks good. I put a new switchin that I have. No change. The turn signals are fine and work. I look this up and down. Nothing. I take the 15 amp fuse and stare at it in HATE! So i put a a new fuse in for the hell of it and BAM! The system works. Something in the fuse is bad. I don't have my volt meter handy but visually it looks fine. Glad I did not spend all day but only half hour. Lesson kinda learnd.

RCB Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:54 pm

Glad you found the problem. As a Californian Ive never had to have my lights inspected...just my smog. Is this some kind of new test to gouge more money out of us poor working stiffs ?

iltis74 Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:29 pm

I've been there before too where visually a fuse looks good but finaly change it anyways and suddenly everything works. Darndest thing.

meyervw Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:58 pm

RCB wrote: Glad you found the problem. As a Californian Ive never had to have my lights inspected...just my smog. Is this some kind of new test to gouge more money out of us poor working stiffs ?
No the van was total from some minor suspension damage. I have to get it inspected to make it leagle again.

meyervw Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:48 pm

Alright. Got Gutav to work to check out the last rear marker light. I have but and no ground. I gentally tug the groung wire and out it comes. Looks like it got. I put it back together and go back to the place to certify it. It passes. Now to go to DMV to get my plates :)