TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hitch and towing a boat?
One by One Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:16 pm

I'm considering purchasing a fishing boat before next spring and have a few questions.

1) Who makes hitches for the vanagon? I know gowesty does and probably can get something from Uhaul, any opinions on these?

2) The boat I'm considering will have a rolling weight at most of 1400#s. I'm not too concerned with towing it since I live within 20 miles of about 20 lakes and the hills here are small. I am concerned about being able to pull the boat out of the water, a few of the ramps are pretty steep. Think this is a real concern?

3) If I did decide to take a longer trip what would I need to do to the auto tranny? I was thinking at least installing one of TKs air scoop.

camo westy Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Hitches are on Ebay from time to time.

I have a used one (like new).. bolts onto rear bumper mounts, same as Vanagon suppliers sell. It is gonna go on Ebay soon, I'd like to get 60% of new price for it.
I dont need it, I made up a tube bumper with a hitch welded into the middle, fiberglass bumper hides the bumper and hitch, and if anyone rear ends me, they are gonna loose a radiator.

1400 # boat and trailer towing isnt a problem, steep ramp may be an issue, try it and see, you wont 'cook' your clutch doing it one time.

allsierra123 Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:03 pm

The trouble I had was with a steep ramp and the tires breaking traction with the boat on there. Didnt have enough umph to get it out. Maybe the ramp was unusually slick and steep I dont know. But I have other launches that didnt cause the same problem. I guess as long as you are careful It should be ok.

J Charlton Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:21 pm

What I have done on a number of occasions ( 16' Whaler with a 90hp Merc - lots of toys - about 2500lbs total)- not with my westie but with other vehicles - if I am not happy with the pitch or surface of the boat ramp (launching isn't usually a problem) - is to put the trailer in the water, detached from the vehicle hitch but attached via a long rope or chain . then use the boat winch to pull the boat up on to the trailer, but not all the way - you are trying to minimize the weight on the trailer front wheel - then block the trailer wheel(s), tie the front of the boat down to the trailer so it won't slide back off.
Undo the winch strap from the boat, stretch out the winch strap and attach it to your vehicle, (you'll have to fiddle and fart around, preferably in advance as to how to route it) then use the trailer winch to winch the boat and trailer up the ramp to the vehicle. Block the trailer wheels, lower the coupler onto the ball, back off the winch strap, reattach it to the boat, winch the boat all the way up to its correct position, raise the trailer front wheel and drive off.
Sounds way more complicated that it really is. This is how I'm going to be using my westie to retreive my boat - no way am I going to put my engine even partially in the water.
As I said earlier, I've done it this way lots of times and once you get it routinized it really doesn't take too long. We have a lot of marginal (real understatement) boat ramps in Northern Ontario - and I've seen many people get really stuck - only once for me - never since I figured out the above routine. It does tie up the ramp a bit longer, but nowhere near as long as it would if you get your vehicle stuck and its a lot easier on your vehicle than that initial pull on a wet slippery ramp.
JC

JeffRobenolt Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:25 pm

Mount a ball up front just for landing.

Jeff

SockMonkey Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:10 pm

well as long as you have a stock motor, the gowesty hitch seems pretty good as it doesnt JUST hook onto the tie down hoops, but it also bolt to an engine mount.

The uhaul hitch ONLY attaches to the tiedown hoops, nothing else.

I found this tutorial (http://www.evcl.com/vw/Accessories/Frame.html), Shows how to make a real strong, decent trailer hitch from your stock bumper mounts and a Uhaul hitch for like a nissan mathfinder or something.

Hope this helps, Silas.

Oh yeah, after MANY hours searching, other then spending $1,000+ on heavy duty bumper sets, I have found nothing else.

SSWesty Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:09 pm

I have this $95 hitch from JCWhitney and it seems plenty sturdy from the boat I tow.(700 pound rolling weight) http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10...8012122609

I did need to trim the backing plates to get a snug fit on the tow loops and the hitch was scratched when I recieved it. It looked like someone at the factory pulled it across the edge of a steel table or shelf. So I had to touch it up with some paint to prevent rust from starting. I complained to JCWhitney and they offered to send me a new one. I needed it for a fishing trip and said it was a hassle to exchange and already repainted so they sent me a $20 gift certificate. I am happy.

If you get it from JCWhitney try to purchase it when they have free shipping. They run promotions all the time so you don't have to wait long.

Ramps can be a challenge, I feel like I'm at the comfortable limit with my boat. I am running 27x8.5 tires and I have a 4 spd. The clutch gets a bit of a workout with this set up.

Steve

[email protected] Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:59 am

My vote would be a gowesty hitch as a minimum. it was pointed out by another that they do have a reinforcing bar that mounts to the engine cradle.

I think the guy that makes the cool racks makes or made a hitch as well (I can never remember his name!) which is built very well much like the westfalia hitches only with a receiver end instead of the european "donkey dick". I have both a westfalia hitch and a gowesty. I am currently running the gowesty hitch with no complaints, I am only going to be switching to the westy hitch to complete the "full euro conversion" to my van.

I never have any problems at the ramps, I was pretty scared the first steep ramp I hit as my van is lowered (with graywater and propane tanks hanging down) but never had an issue with either scraping or spinning out. I have an extended tounge on my trailer though so it gets the boat in the water usually without getting the wheels of the van wet. and my boat is only a 12' center console with a 25hp so its a only about 7-800 pounds total weight I would imagine. The auto has no problems yanking it outta the water. One of the guys we camp/boat alot with pulls a 15' vintage bowrider w/75 hp with his '79 baywindow westy (boat matches the bus) and he never has any issues either. he even pulled home an early '60's 22' cruiser on a year correct steel dual axle trailer from Colorado home to florida with that bus! Of course its all downhill from CO to FL :D

getset Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:17 pm

I have a homemade hitch that mounts like the Gowesty bumper hitch. I find it works well for the 20 foot sailboat I tow. Boat and trailer weigh 2000 lbs. I can't remember the tounge weight off hand.

I plan on replacing it with the gowesty bumper eventually.

One by One Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:49 pm

It sounds like the gowesty hitch is worth the extra $$$. I'm rolling 255s on the rear wheels, hopefully that will help with traction. I'll try out a few ramps when they aren't too busy in case I have some issues getting the boat out. I'll let everyone know how it goes after I get the boat. It will most likely be a 16' tiller with a 60hp.

Any issues with long distance towing and the auto tranny?

[email protected] Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:31 am

One by One wrote:
Any issues with long distance towing and the auto tranny?

Your mileage goes from bad to worse and van goes from slow to slower :D
I like to manually shift the auto when I pull the heaver trailers im my stable. other than that I just drive, nothng fancy or modified mechanically on my van and nearing 140k miles. It definitely will not hurt increasing cooling at the tranny, but my temps according to the dash needle never freak me out, even running up the interstate @70+mph, but again, i'm only pulling around 1000 lbs (the van is loaded to) and the boat/trailer is not any wider or taller than the van.