TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: L335 Capri Blue Page: 1, 2  Next
tylergeddis Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:15 pm

I was wondering if anyone can give me some pictures of this color: L335 Capri Blue. I am interested in painting my 1961 ragtop that color. Thanks

P.S. i have looked in the samba gallery and there was only 2 pictures.

Oldnslow Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:05 pm

Did you try a search of the gallery? I found this but don't know if it is correct or not. Looks more like Dove Blue to me.
[img][/img]

HerrrKafer Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:10 am

58-only color and perhaps the rarest 58 color, so you probably won't find a whole lot.
Check out this thread, especially the second-to-last post:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=315040

Also keep in mind that it's very difficult to get a good idea of color due to the tremendous amount of lighting and display variables.

50ate Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:30 pm

look in my gallery my 58 is og paint and it is capri blue.. Also i belive it was availablein 59 to but only 58-59

IN2VWS Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:17 pm

Hi Green66,
Did your NOS rear blind arive yet? How is it, all OK?

John

JustinJurgens Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:19 pm

green66 wrote: look in my gallery my 58 is og paint and it is capri blue.. Also i belive it was availablein 59 to but only 58-59

another from the gallery

hitest Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:01 pm

I was intrigued by the call for capri blue- as I have a friend in Boise with what I suspect is too that color. The freshly painted sedan above looks just like my Gulf Blue '62 vert, and my '63 ragtop. I had to google "Capri blue 1958 VW" but came up with a good pic of one- hope it helps... A very nice color. brad

HerrrKafer Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:24 am

green66 wrote: Also i belive it was availablein 59 to but only 58-59
You're absolutely right.
Someday, I'll get the order right: drink coffee, then post.

50ate Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:49 am

IN2VWS wrote: Hi Green66,
Did your NOS rear blind arive yet? How is it, all OK?

John
This is my 58...Yes the blind did come.. And all is well with it, It went in nice and easy.. I am happy with the blind and the price i paid

tylergeddis Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:13 pm

Is this capri blue or dove blue?

50ate Sat Oct 25, 2008 10:26 am

its not capri i know that much.. Im not sure if its dove either.. Imo capri is one of the hardest colors to repaint as none of the new paint jobs i have seen are even close to what og capri looks like.. just look at the pic up at the top of the thread... It dosent even come close to the og paint on mine or the the other og paint posted.. This could be due to our paint being 50 years old... But the underside or my dash has never seen the sun and it is in great shape and does not look like any of the resprays you see posted on here.. Just my 2 cnt

tylergeddis Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:05 pm

tylergeddis wrote:

This color is realy growing on me. Can anyone please give me any info or the color code on this car. thank you very much.

IN2VWS Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:14 pm

tylergeddis wrote: tylergeddis wrote:

This color is realy growing on me. Can anyone please give me any info or the color code on this car. thank you very much.

If its an original color for the 58/59 model year, then it can only be Fjord blue, as Golf Blue wasn't available in 58/59.
But, having said that, how do we know that it is the correct color or correct mix by the painter? Also the lighting plays a big part in whether it look correct or not.
Click on the image to see it full size

gary c Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:09 am

Hi did anyone identify this colour it is very nice but looks too blue too be fjord ? anyone any ideas

Reminou Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:31 pm

if you need a sample, here is mine, completely original, from March 3rd 1959.

But please, don't paint a 1961 in a very specific 1958-early 1959 colour!!! :(

50ate Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:40 pm

damn shit is dope man i love it.. sucks about the tail lights tho

JinxedSydney Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:37 am

Reminou wrote: But please, don't paint a 1961 in a very specific 1958-early 1959 colour!!! :(
I disagree! Paint it whatever makes you happy.

Reminou Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:23 pm

JinxedSydney wrote: Reminou wrote: But please, don't paint a 1961 in a very specific 1958-early 1959 colour!!! :(
I disagree! Paint it whatever makes you happy.

OK, but it won't be vintage...

AlteWagen Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 pm

Reminou wrote: OK, but it won't be vintage...

I think all OG colors are 100% vintage, just not 100% correct (depending on year).

Kind of like the tail lights on your bug, vintage yet not correct :wink:

edit: just noticed your front turnsignals too. Just wondering why the 63 turnsignals and tail lights??

Reminou Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:48 am

derluftwagen wrote: Reminou wrote: OK, but it won't be vintage...

I think all OG colors are 100% vintage, just not 100% correct (depending on year).

Kind of like the tail lights on your bug, vintage yet not correct :wink:

edit: just noticed your front turnsignals too. Just wondering why the 63 turnsignals and tail lights??

excellent questions!!! :wink:

the car is 100% original, and 100% vintage in the definition: unrestored and untouched.

But, in the definition vintage = like ex-works, there are theses 2 changes, as this is a German car. In the mid 60's in Germany, a law obliged to block the semaphores to have more visible turn signals on the cars. That's why my car (and a lot of ovals and splits from Germany) have turn signals on the front wings and bigger taillights.

I'd like to put it back like "from the factory", but as it's my daily driver in Paris, it's safer to drive with visible turnsignals, as nobody knows what a semaphore is... :(