TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Auto Trans Slipping at times.. Need input
bayman111 Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:21 am

First I have 81 California model with auto trans. When i start it and shift into reverse to back out of driveway it works fine.When i shift into drive, heres where things go wrong, if the van lurches ahead in D it will drive fine but if it goes into drive and there is no pull it will slip intermittently in all gears and if I stop and shift up and down through P R N D until it pulls ahead it will work fine, but how come when it is not pulling and i shift into 2 it still doesnt pull? Is this in the linkage or in the trans. Thanks.

mightyart Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:43 am

Hows the fluid level?
When was the last time the filter was changed?

bayman111 Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:42 am

Fluid level is good and i changed fluid/filter first when noticed slipping

Wildthings Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:22 am

Sounds like you have something sticking, maybe a valve maybe a piston. The older 003's had band adjustments you could do, don't know about the 010. The automatic sections on these are the same as on other VW products so it is possible to get a wrecking yard replacement if necessary.

danno Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:54 am

If it is working and driving normally sometimes but other times not the clutches should be OK and your fluid level is good, I would look at the valve body. I put a valve body out of an early 3spd auto rabbit into my 86 weekender about 5000km ago and it solved my shifting problem. (in the end I found the transfer plate between the valve body halves was worn where a ball seats so it was no longer sealing I could have just changed the plate but they are not available anywhere) Changing the valve body is not hard it is the piece the filter is screwed into, it is in the bently.

I have a valve body here but the transfer plate is worn if you need some pics or anything.

Dan

VWGeorge Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:14 pm

1. Change fluid and filter again.
2. Adjust bands per procedure in the TYPE 3 Bently! The T3 had the same trans as 003/010. The band adjustment is the same. The T3 Bently goes into drastic detail on these trans almost to the point of insanity.
3.Adjust the linkage per Vanagon bently.

4.Pressure test. You may not be able to do this but any Quality shop can.
just make sure you take the specs with you out of the book to the shop.

bayman111 Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:47 pm

Ok , thanks everybody, will do these tests/adjustments as soon as i can and repost then.

camo westy Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:07 pm

That auto box is shared with big Audis of the same years...
Lots of common parts in the scrapyard.

Search this forum for info on Audi turbo automatics...