TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1.9 vs 2.1 exhaust
mattcfish Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:01 pm

I'm getting tired of my leaky 1.9 exhaust on my 2.2 upgrade. No matter what I do, new leaks keep developing at the union flange gaskets just ahead of the O2 sensor. I'm thinking about getting new exhaust. I was considering the S&S Header available from "Aircooled", but I've heard they don't have much longevity and are even worse to install than the stock one. Will the 2.1 exhaust (which seems to have an improved union) work with the 1.9 configuration? Will it work with my 1.9 Cat and muffler?

tencentlife Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:41 am

The OEM 2.1 system should bolt right up to your 2.2 even with the 1.9 cooling system. I don't think there's any interference at the thermostat housing, that would be the trouble spot if there were one. As for fitting your 1.9 cat and muffler to it, though, I can't say. With the 2.2 in there, if I were you I would be looking for a less restrictive muffler than stock anyway.

The S&S header system is in my experience quite well built, fits up easily and if you support the muffler the pipes will last for years, but their muffler won't. To begin with, do not use the little tab they weld onto the muffler skin. Anything welded to the skin of a muffler for support is going to tear right off and theirs is no exception. You'll have to devise a way to support the muffler from its endpipes, or a band that encircles it similar to the OEM muffler support perches. But ultimately their muffler will rot out because it's mild steel and condensation will attack it from the inside no matter how well you maintain the exterior finish. That's why you must have SS for a muffler. If I were going with their system I would just buy their pipes ceramic coated, and get a good stainless muffler and cat and rig up my own supports for them. The pipes are pretty cheap bought direct from S&S, and they do offer ceramic coating as an option.

mattcfish Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:43 pm

I noticed that the S&S comes in several pieces. How are the joints held together? The photo doesn't show wether pinch clamps or exhaust clamps are used.

My Cat has been hollowed out by a PO. My Ansa muffler sounds much louder than a stock muffler. Not sure if that = less BP.

tencentlife Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:59 pm

There's two slip-joints. This is one thing I'm not fond of, but to make them tighter you could always put U-bolts on them. That might be what's intended, but I just like to be able to disassemble things.

BP? Backpressure? You don't want backpressure. Ever. That's a myth that won't die.

justcairns Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:04 pm

I have a set of S&S headers on my 1984 vanagon gl. Been on there about 4-5 years now. As far as the slip-joints go I put gobs of grease on them when I installed them, when the grease gets hot it will seal the joints and shouldn't have any leaks and I don't have clamps there either. As far as their muffler goes the mounting tabs are poorly welded and the skin cracked about six months after installed. I took the muffler off and welded the tabs on really good and haven't had any problems since.