TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: painting the front grills, painting hubcaps
krusovice Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi
I have a few winter projects for my 1984 Vanagon. I want to repaint the hubcaps (original basket weave type) as well as both front grills.

I did a search but didn't find any good tips. (The info might be there, and I might have missed it...I did search, though.)

Anyone done this? How did it work?

Thanks,
Mark

madspaniard Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:59 pm

I'm planning to restore the front grills of mine using a product called Forever Black.

Crankey Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:59 pm

I used Krylon black primer and simi gloss paint on my hard plastic grill and forever black on my chin spoiler and bumper caps.

I used the same krylon on my steel bumpers too. it's been over a year and all of it looks good when washed. it's on a daily driver, mostly city driving.

sc-surfer Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:37 pm

Krylon Fusion plastic paint on both grills and they look perfect. Just clean the parts really well, scuff lightly with steel wool, blow the dust off and paint.

krusovice Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:39 pm

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if the Krylon will work on hubcaps? (They are the original hubcaps and are looking a bit worse for wear.)

Mark

Crankey Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:44 pm

it'll work fine so long as they arn't chrome plated. painting over chrome is more hassel than it's worth.

repainting metal or plastic is no problem.

HeftySmurf Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:54 pm

I'll second the Krylon Fusion (rustoleum has a new plastic product as well that works just as good I used it on my cabinets.).... works awesome... I cleaned everything really good with marine clean and a Scotch Brite pad, let it dry in the sun. Try the little spray trigger accessory you can get for spray cans work great and allow you more control of the spray. I did my fron grills and the rear ari vents and gas tank cover of my Syncro. I did about 4 coats and the applied a semi gloss protectant over it... Looks good.... Cost me about $20 and about 3 hours well worth it!
Before:

After:

vanagonforever Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:45 am

I did mine with the Rustoleum textured black plastic paint and I was really happy with the results. The texture is very slight but I feel like it adds some durability to the finish and hides any imperfections. To prep I dry sanded mine with 220 then washed them with 409 and a plastic brillo pad. After they were completely dry I wiped them down with acetone. To do the actual painting I did two coats with 48 hours in the sun between coats. It may sound strange but I prefer to spray paint things like that in the dark because it keeps me from altering my spray pattern to fill in rough spots. It is a lot easier to paint a second time than it is to really fix a drip. Just keep about a foot and a half away and your motion nice, smooth, and always moving. I did mine at least six months ago and they still look just as good as the day I did them.

Ceebers Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:29 pm

I am going to repaint my front grills with Krylon Fusion as well.

One question I didn't find anything about searching the forum, is if you can repaint on the chrome colored strip that outlines the grills on 86-91 vans.It seems everyone that repaints their grills just go for 'blackout'.

Is that chrome strip vacuum metalized like on new cars with plastic "chrome"?

I guess this applies to the rear emblems as well. Can you get some sort of 'chrome paint' or something that wouldn't end up looking cheesy, or is that just beyond the scope of a diy job?

HeftySmurf Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:08 pm

Tape, exato knife, and chrome colored spray paint over a plastic primer would work, just have to do a good tape job.

j_dirge Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:18 am

Painting hubcaps.

I purchased the cheap chrome hubcaps from GW. Because of a remodel at the house I had to park the van outside in ocean weather for a couple months. They rusted... and looked like hell.
I did not set out to go "black out" look on the van.. I just didn't want rusty shitty looking hubcaps.

Sanded them down to remove the worst of the rust pits.. and made sure to "dull" what was left of the good chrome. Each cap took maybe 15 minutes of handsanding, 100, then 220 finishing with 400 w/d to soften scratches left by 100 grit.

Painted with Rustoleum satin black.. They've held up OK for 3 yrs now. The paint WILL scratch when removing the cap (don't let it fall on the gorund when you pop it).. but Rustoleum is inexpensive.. When they get bad enough again, just spray em again.

Forever Black.
Works OK.. better on rubbery type materials. Its OK on the plastic bumpers and mirrors.. but you can't get a finish without major streaking.
I'd opt NOT to use Forever Black on Vanagon plastic.
When I get around to it, I'll use Krylon or Rustoleum on the black plastic.

McVanagon Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:19 am

I've used this stuff on faded 20 year old plastic/rubber and it turns out pretty good.....

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+maintenanc...amp;page=1

minsk Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:41 pm

mike z is that chip guard on the fornt part of the body?

looks dope

HeftySmurf Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Yes sir,
I bought a bra, didnt like, so when I had LINE-X hook it up. Only thing i had to do was dremel out the platic grill a bit to make them fit adds about 1/8" to the overall thickness, stuff is dope

ftp2leta Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:30 pm

krusovice wrote:

Anyone done this? How did it work?

Thanks,
Mark

Yes.

Like that:

:-)