TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: similarities/differences between VW bug/Porsche 914
dunnman Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:45 am

found a 914 locally for cheap money and plan on buying it today. My problem is that i dont know much about porsches and i cant even see the engine! LOL Do many of the parts cross over? can i buy VW brakes eng parts etc. besides the obvious-mid engine- What are the major similarities /differences between a bug and a 914?

TC/TeamEvil Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:55 am

Check out these guys:

http://www.914world.com/

They know EVERYTHING. You're wastin' your time and energy by hanging around here.

We just sit around drinking coffee and farting . . .

theadmiral1000 Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:53 pm

There is almost nothing major in common between a Bug and a 914. Different engines, transmissions, brakes, list goes on. They are very different beasts each with their own strengths and weaknesses.

MRRAGPICKER Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:12 pm

The only thing on that 914 that is like a VW is the engine. It is a type 4 engine. similar to the ones in mid to late 70's buses and the VW 411 and 412 cars.

cbcarch Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Almost nothing.
Even the engines are quite different.
Type 1 VW single carb in Beetle
Type 4 VW dual carb in 914-4
Rare 914-6 had early 911 flat 6 engine

cheers.... :wink:

Bleyseng Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:23 pm

not one 914 4 cylinder was sold in the USA with dual carbs, all came with FI.

ou8avw Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:47 pm

I just got into a 914 restoration and I can tell you, itís a whole new world. It was good advice sending you to 914world.com , They are the bomb. I am a die-hard VW man but the 914 was the holy-grail in my youth. The parts so-far have been more expensive but not so hard to find. It seems the support for these cars is a little more organized than for my Ghias (no offence to present company). The ďhard to find partsĒ are easy to track down as so many of these cars are rusted beyond belief and are being parted out. As far as actually working on them, itís about the same as my Ghia, both built by Karmann.

turnaround89 Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:58 pm

Can you fix a vw bug? If you can, you can fix anything on a 914. I have both and haven't found anything that difficult to fix on either of them. Parts are a little more expensive because of the name, Porsche. However, the vw bug has probably the lowest part prices ever(which makes them awesome), so anything you build, will probably be more expensive. Personally, im not a big fan of the stock 914 look, a love fender flares so i added those to mine. Going for a 916 clone. Hope you have fun with yours. Every time i get out of mine, im always smiling bc the car is a blast to drive!!!!!!! Even the times i had to have it towed, up to the towing part, the drive was freaking awesome.

Major differences: Handling and Shifting. The 914 is known for vague shifts, just takes a little more skill to drive the car, no worries, once you know how to drive it, you can pretty much out handle most other cars. They may not be the quickest accelerating or highest top speed car ever, but i haven't yet driven a car that is more fun than my 914!! uncles boxster doesn't compare, neither does my cousin 944, both way higher power, but both not nearly as fun!