TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Alternator replacement.
ohhhgary Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:32 am

I'm pretty sure the alternator on my 81 westy has failed. Last week I noticed the battery light coming on randomly. Saturday night while driving the batteries died. Even after a push start the batteries weren’t charging. This has led me to believe that it is the alternator that needs replacing.

I was wondering what would be the best place to get a replacement.

I saw these on the busdepot.com

http://busdepot.com/view.jsp?model=42&category=13&group=79&prodgroup=595

And was wondering if any of these from Kragen are good?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?PartType=11&PTSet=A

Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks,

Garret

MarkWard Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:18 am

Who has the best warranty? The aircooled vanagon is relatively easy to swap out compared to the earlier Type 2. We have always used bosch remans in our shop. They have a pretty good national warranty as long as you fill out the paper work at the time of the purchase.

PDXWesty Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:24 am

Check your local auto parts supplier. You can sometimes get them with a lifetime warranty. I don't think the alternator is something you need to get from a specialty vendor.

RCB Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Is it possible that just the regulator wore out,thats easy to replace and you can replace it without removing the entire alternator.
As far as what the best is....Ive had real good luck with Bosch.
Once you send in the warrenty you also get a free road servive authorized by Bosch if it craps out on you while your on the road. Its also good for a year.

wooden nickel Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:51 pm

To add to what RCB said, I had my alternator stop charging about 400 miles from home. I pulled the regulator, stretched the springs on the brushes a little and it charged enough to get me home.
Try it and if it starts charging, a $30 regulator from your local parts house will do the trick. It is a fast easy fix.
Good Luck
Nick

Wildthings Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:25 pm

Most automotive electrical shops and many FLAPS will test your alternator for free. You should get it checked before you start randomly buying parts.

deprivation Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:10 am

If you are tight on cashm you can just replace the regulator/brushes for like 20 bucks. My volts went from a hair over 12v to a peppy 14v. I did it recently and if I can do it, anyone can!

ZimmerVan Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:00 am

I second (or third?) the voltage regulator diagnosis. My alt was putting out a paltry 12.2V and I pulled the regulator per advice on this site. The brushes were worn down to nubs. After putting in a new one the alt is putting out 14V. Easiest fix I've done yet.

ZVan

deprivation Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:30 pm

ZimmerVan wrote: Easiest fix I've done yet.
Isn't it neat?

Perales Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:13 pm

deprivation wrote: ZimmerVan wrote: Easiest fix I've done yet.
Isn't it neat?
Any images? A step by step would be useful to those of us who don't know how.
Please. :?

deprivation Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:34 pm

Perales wrote: Any images? A step by step would be useful to those of us who don't know how.
I'll have a look around and see if I can find some.