TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Any thoughts or experiences with moving rear heater into AC
bobbycgolf Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:19 pm

Have a non working AC and really have no need for it here in Washington..So I got to thinking all the venting for the AC would make a great heater using the rear heater core and moving it into the AC compartment after removing the AC and extending the hoses ect,ect....Anyone try this or something like it..Any info or comments are welcome..

aereo-van Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:09 pm

I guess this could work, but given that the vw is already coolant system challenged, and that the rear heater is....well....evil, why would you want to put it into such a position? seems like asking for trouble. Air could get trapped in the coolant hoses that route up to the core, and leaks? ugh.

danfromsyr Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:00 am

Why wouldn't you want to use the stock rear heater in the bench?

but that's not what you asked..

in American mfg conversion vans they have a DUAL rear heat/AC unit, these are 'usually' mounted under the back bench or on the back side wall.
BUT I have seen some mounted in the upper overhead cabinet..
these usualy go for ~$35 at the U-pull-yards and if you are removing the AC just hook up the heat.

one other GREAT advantage of these units are they have a very low profile, probably more so then the OE AC fans & evap unit.
I say go for it.. but make sure you use quality hose..

as for bleeding the air out, sure it'll make it a bigger song & dance.
just remember that the heater hoses get FULL coolant flow untill the T-stat opens drawing off the radiator. then it's shared coolant supply to the pump.

I used one of these american conversion van units when I 1st did my H2o conversion into my aircooled van under the back bench.. my overhead is used for bedding and hats/gloves..

Terry Kay Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:29 am

If ya have a bunch of free time on your hands, I can't see why you couldn't move a heater core into the evaportor's place up into the AC housing--

However--if you want to move some heat around inside your Van--there's an easier way .

Turn the AC blower on low or medium, and the heat inside the Van will being blown from under the back seat--and the front will get sucked up through the rear intake of the AC unit and get blown through the AC vents--all the way up front, in the middle, and in the back of the Van , with just a flip of the switch---

No need for a Ed Norton plumbing job---

Heat rises.
The existing AC blower will suck up & distribute that heat.

Works good in the winter--I do this all the time when it's real cold out.

climberjohn Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:47 am

"Smak", loud sound of head being hit with palm of hand . . .
Why didn't I think of that? Brilliant idea.
Thanks, TK!

danfromsyr Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:07 am

just be careful on your AC type/settings..
I believe the 85s would still run the Rad fan even if the compresser was off/low pressure.
I see yours is an 86 and 'may' have a differant wiring system, but I wanted to toss this caution to other readers about cooling fans and AC interaction.. some additional disconnection or research may be necessary.

and it won't be as HOT as if it were the heater core, but it will stir the air that's for sure.

Terry Kay Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:52 am

If on fact your AC is still operational, and you don't want to have the AC run with the heat---
here's another simple solution.

Pull the power plug at the compressor.
That should take all of 1 minute to accomplish--

9 outa 10 Vanagon's are running around with no AC functioning anyway--why sweat the small stuff?

In an later model Van ( and the Westfalia's ) the AC intake is in back anyway--
Right back where the rear heater is howling--Heat rises.

Why not take advantage of this BTU push up front??

It does work pretty good--try it.
I was impressed.

Hasta,

dpazos Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:04 pm

Heat rises. that said, having it at roof level may not be a great idea.

Terry Kay Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:08 pm

<<Heat rises.>>

You just earned 3 gold stars---
Yep, heat goes up.

<< that said, having it at roof level may not be a great idea.>>

Ok--and where is the AC blower intake at in a late model Vanagon?

If by chance you might thinking it's somewhere else--it isn't.

The intake is at roof level just behind and above the rear heater assembly.

That heat will travel upward and to the headliner free of charge.

The intake will suck it up and blow it forward and down via the vents all the way towards the driver in the overhead vents.

I know this sounds way to simple, but it works well.

beatrich Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:53 pm

I also do it the same way TK does it- No front heater bower right now, and it moves all the heat around the van, with both rear blower motors on. Heats fine, except the toes.