TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Which Boge shock to use on rear of Westfalia?
patkevin Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:49 pm

I've just bought a 1989 Westfalia Camper. I believe that all 4 shock absorbers are original. The fronts seem fine but the rears show evidence of oil leakage and do not pass the Capt. Mike shock test found in another posting.

My intentions are therefore to just replace the rear shocks. Since I've seen advice to not mix shocks, I will use Boge's. My local VW dealer advised that the correct part number is 251-513-031G.

Whats confusing me is the different variations of the Boge shock that are available. Some are manufactured in Germany and others in Mexico and Brazil and the prices vary widely and some its hard to tell the country of origin. I'm also not sure how much difference it makes.

Most of them have a "F" as the final letter of the part number rather than "G" which I think is just a revision number and probably doesn't make much difference.

My priority is to put on an appropriate good shock rather than save a few bucks.

Below are the sources I've located:

Bus Depot, $65 - German.
Bus Depot, $80 - German, Heavy Duty - imported by Bus Depot.
GoWesty, $30 - Brazil.
eVWParts, $55 - "G" model, origin unknownn
BusBoys, $76 - "G" model, origin unknown
PartsGeek $104 - Sach's branded.
Van Cafe $69 - OEM, origin unknown

I'd be grateful for any suggestion as to which would be the best choice to be a good match for the existing front shocks or whether I should be replacing all 4 shocks which would then open up the possibility of using Bilstein's or other manufacturers product.

Thanks!

Crughy Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:02 pm

I decided to go with 4 bilstein HD, 75$ from tirerack. Still needs to be installed.

But I expect a way stable ride. Less cross winds, etc.

If you are not happy with your ride, I would go with 4.

JP