TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone here from maine??? Page: 1, 2  Next
SockMonkey Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:39 am

I got to university of southern maine, and one of their campus's is in Portland, The other in Gorham. Over the past two months I have seen 5 other vanagons, not including my uncles and mine. I also know of one for sale in Portland, one in Hallowell, one in Turner, and two in Bath (samba classifieds). So I am curious if anyone of them are active here on the Samba. Also the Foreign Auto Supplys in Harpswell maine does the Tiico conversions.

hansh Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:42 am

I think "RandyinMaine" might be.

SockMonkey Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:51 am

Lol, he may be, but I dont know... LMAO.... I think hes associated with the people who do the tiico conversions from FAS.

?Waldo? Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:37 am

I'm from Maine. Born and raised in Gorham. Used to find the USM shuttle a convenient way to get to Potland as a teenager. My family goes back to 1630 in Maine, but I'm not there now. :D

Andrew

Randy in Maine Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Not from Maine, but I have been here for 23 years now and live down at the beach in OOB.

I have met those guys in Harpswell a few times and they do a nice job, but I don't work over there.

I see that "Joker" van around alot and my buddy "Billybob" in Portland has a white vanagon with a Tiico, but I am aircooled and look kind of like this....

Go over here and sign up..... Interesting group.....

http://www.mainevwclub.org/

SockMonkey Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:53 pm

We trace our family back (Jordan) to right around the mayflower. "The Reverend Robert Jordan, an Anglican Minister of the Church of England, who arrived in Maine around the year 1639 and later settled at Richmond Island, Cape Elizabeth, Maine". I was the 14th generation of Jordans to live in Cape Elizabeth. His grave stone is the oldest known grave stone in Cape Elizabeth. I almost guarentee we're related... lol. My grandfather is is really big itno this geneology and family tree with the Jordan family.

Jake59 Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:58 pm

I went to UMO 77-82. My dad and I left a split window single cab on the side of the road near Augusta with blown engine. We were trying to get me back to school one year, boy if I only knew then what that truck would be worth today.

gaff rig Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:47 pm

Ayuh...I'm from Maine. None of the vehicles you noted are mine, though I do see more Westys around Maine than one would think (mostly summers). Mine's a 91 and a real sweetheart. I took my camper to the north end of Newfoundland last summer and would love to repeat that trip with other like-minded owners. And, wouldn't you know it...I'm also a UMO grad. Hang in there!

SockMonkey Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:13 pm

I applied to UMO and USM and was accepted to both. but concidering I live in Windham, I saw no point in going to UMO (atleast for 2 years) when I can take the same classes at USM and I only have a 20 minute commute to both campuses. Heck of alot cheaper then living on campus when I can mooch of my dad :P . I do plan on transfering to UMO to finish my engineering degree. My uncle is also a UMO grad.

As for the ones I've see. two silver (I believe) 86+ non-westfalias. a blue westly (I think) and a really nice looking red westy.

bread geek Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:14 pm

I am from Maine,Over here in Fryeburg i do frequent portland and gorahm area.I have all my work done by the guys at foreign auto supply in harpswell.Great guys and thy know vanagons like the back of there hands.Jon has been working on all of my vw's for about 20 years.
Jeff

SockMonkey Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:18 pm

I would mind making a nice road trip once I get her running right, maybe once it has a subby power plant. The biggest reason I got a vanagon (My uncle gave me the idea) is because I recently got into Hydroplane boat racing and sleeping in tents on the hard ground sucks. So I got a vanagon cuz of the bed in the back, perfect for my dad and I with a couple sleeping bags over a race weekend. And once it has the subby power plant, it should have no trouble pulling a light trailer.

bread geek Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:25 pm

i have a tiico in mine and love it

JusDubn Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:00 pm

Mainiac checking in here. Live in Portland. I always see the Joker van around. We drive a blue '88 Westy.

Bubs Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:24 pm

Not from Maine, but I'm still a close neighbor here in New Hampshire.

Maybe next spring we should do a New England meet.

SockMonkey Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:09 pm

Yeah a new england meet would be cool.

I dont thing I have seen the joker van that I can remember. But i've only had my van a couple months, and I imagine I pay more attention to other vanagons now. so maybeI hav seen it and didnt think anything of it.

billybobrudebaga Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:11 am

I Live in Portland, and got to USM as well. You probably see my white 89 Vanagon GL cruising back and forth between Gorham and Portland.
Next time you see me, stop me and introduce yourself...
I'm running a 6 year old Tiico...and runs like clockwork.
I'm a Geology major so I am in Gorham for all my classes.

There are a bunch of nice looking vans and if you want help looking at them, send me a message, I'd be glad to tag along with you.
I like the Maroon one in Turner....it looks nice from the pics, but you'd have to drive it and get up underneath it to get a good look at it.

-Billy

SockMonkey Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:02 am

Thats probably why I havent seen yours ( that I remember). I only have one class at USM in gorham for engineering and thats only twice a week late in the afternoon. the rest are in portland. As the semesters go on I will probably have more classes in gorham as thats were the engineering department is.

SockMonkey Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:30 pm

Saw another one today... In gorham at about 3:55pm. it was a dark red/maroon and it pulled into the key bank in Gorham. I would have followed him/her but I had to get to class.

JusDubn Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:30 pm

SockMonkey wrote: Saw another one today... In gorham at about 3:55pm. it was a dark red/maroon and it pulled into the key bank in Gorham. I would have followed him/her but I had to get to class.

I drove through Gorham today, stopping at Cumberland Farms on my way to putting the van up for the winter... :(

(un)Fortunately I wasn't able to secure a ride home from her winter resting spot so I get to drive her for a few more days!

SockMonkey Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:35 pm

I only have class in gorham monday and wednesday night so thats when i am usually passing through... I as well will be putting the van up for the winter this week. just have ti fix me shitsbru to drive this weekend