TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Who Is Gary Zink?
zacamil7525 Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:40 am

Does anyone out there have any experience with transaxle rebuilds from Gary Zink out of Kent, Washington?

spaeth Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:41 am

Yes. He has built a couple of split window bus trannies for me. This was a long time ago, but he was very good to work with and built nice gear boxes.

Craig

garyzink Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:33 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the question and thanks to Craig for the kind reply.

I'm Gary Zink. I just want to reply with info on who I am for the benefit of those who don't know me, but not necessarily to drum up more business. I'm always busy with jobs and never advertise (no yellow pages or web site), because I'm a one-man wholesale shop and take pride in the best quality work with the nation's best unconditional warranty (2-years).

I've been rebuilding VW and Porsche standard-shift tranies and custom tranies since May 1974. I Learned the business from Vern Hagestadt VW dealer, Denver CO, in the early 70'. I do all models of VW from split case to the latest Eurovans, including most Porsche gear boxes. I continue working, mostly because I like precision workmanship, taking on trany engineering challenges, serving people and establishing great friendships, not because I need an income. These reasons allow me to do the very best work in the shop I own, with low prices. I trust all inspection and assembly work only to myself, no one else. I work mostly for Seattle/Tacoma area VW repair shops with wholesale exchange units, but will pass the same wholesale prices on to anyone who accidentally finds me. I sometimes ship nationwide, not sure how they discover me, because I try to maintain a low business profile. Perhaps word-of mouth.

In this forum, I’m offering free internet advice on anything related to VW or Porsche trany repair, symptoms vs. problems, or parts that anyone might need. I have huge stock of core tranies and parts (unfortunately not much in syncro bus parts) available. If you need anything, ask for my email via The Samba. I specialize in engineering gearbox improvements over factory design blunders.

Occasionally something goes wrong with my rebuilt trany (unexpected part failure, a whiny ring gear, etc.). People that know me also know that I stand totally behind my warranty and always give the benefit of doubt to my valued customers. The relationship I have with my customer and the golden rule is far more important to me than profits. Very few people have ever taken advantage of my policy.

Thanks, Gary

iceracer Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:07 am

Hey Gary, we talked via email some time ago regarding rebuilding my syncro trans in the coming future. Just wanted you to know I still have your address and intend to contact you when the time comes.

And to everyone else: Gary was very helpful and patient in answering my many questions a while back. Even gave me references to call, which i did that satisfied my curious mind.

garyzink Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:36 am

Thanks for saying Hi and I'll be ready to help you whenever you are ready. Good to hear from you again. thanks for the kind words you posted.

Gary :D

mightyart Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:42 am

Now we all know who Gary is.