TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 87 Syncro--Engine crank in first ignition switch position?
bquigs Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:15 am

Hi, I have a project Syncro (most of them are right?) that I have basically been rebuilding. I dont have a lot of experinace so its been a learing project and I have gotten lots of great info from the archives here. This is my first post though and it deals with electrical. I just got the engine in (2.1 WBX) and I am having an issue with the ignition switch or somthing along those lines. It cranks the engine in the first position and will not stop cranking untill the switch is in the off position. The engine wont start either but i have not done any of the standard trouble shooting on that issue untill this is solved.

The switch is new and I have verified this behavior with the old switch pluged into the socket as well. I have also checked for any obvious signs of molested wireing but could find none. Did I connect somthing wrong on the starter or in the dash area? Is there a relay in this circuit that could be stuck closed? I have the Bently but the ectrical section is not my favorite... Any help or trouble shooting advice is apprecited.

--Bquigs in Maine

MsTaboo Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:32 pm

Bad solenoid maybe? Or the starter is misaligned and starter gear is jamming in flywheel?

morymob Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Remove small wire from starter solenoid,try it-should not crank starter, if no crank u either have a short or wire hooke d wrong somewhere between switch and starter. Was this going on when u got it? previous owners can screw up most anything. do u have a BENTLY,good wiring charts. not likely to have old and new sw doing same. If sol was stuck or shorted u would have starter cranking as long as batt cables were hooked up and switch wouldnt effect it any.

wgargan Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:44 pm

What does it do if you put the key in the third(start)position? If the starter stops then you need to switch the 2nd and 3rd elect.connectiiion on the ign switch

bquigs Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:25 pm

In the start postiton it just keeps on cranking. I dont know if this happend before i had the van because it didnt come with an engine. The starter is new (BOSCH re-man) plus I have had a stuck solinoid before in my other vehical and its not that beacaus the switch does work, just not right. Somthing is energizing the solinoid from the RUN circuits. I do have the Bently, I will have to look more closley at those wiring diagrams,
--BQ