TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Advice on an '84 westy
snowbro3249 Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi,

I'm a newbie on this forum and would like some advice, as I'm thinking about purchasing an '84 wolfburg westy.

The seller is asking $8k. I test drove the van and it drove very nice. The body is in good shape. There is no rust at all and it has been repainted. The interior is in great shape except for a minor tear in the driver's side door, and one of the arms on the drivers seat is a bit torn. The rear bumper has a dent and that is the only exterior flaw. The headlights were replaced with the dual rounds. The additional seating is a nice option. The engine only has 100k miles and apparently was rebuilt. Like I said, it drove very nice.

$8k seems high for an '84, but the van is in nice shape. Are the wolfburgs typically worth more?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

914 mike Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:39 pm

$8k is a bit high for a stock 84 IMHO.....even a GL. Plenty of nice vans out there for $5K or less.

Dont know where you are but check out this one in seattle....
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/923254322.html

On the other hand , maybe it would be a good deal if you think this guy will get his asking price:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=549549

I think the 84-85 vans can offer a lot of value since they are often looked over for 86+ vans....

The thing about an 84 is you will find yourself spending money to make it more like a newer van. So, I suggest buying low and give yourself some upward spending. For $8K, it better be a VERY nice 84.

I bought my 84 for $2k, but now have @ $7k total in it, but it kicks ass.

I suppose you also need to consider how dirty you wanna get and how much work you can do on your own...

Good luck

Mike
84 westy, 2.2 suby
Livin the life I love and lovin the life I live

ftp2leta Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:54 pm

snowbro3249 wrote:

$8k seems high for an '84, but the van is in nice shape. Are the wolfburgs typically worth more?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome,
Take some picture and post it here if you can. 8K for a solid and dry van is not bad... if the engine was really rebuilt it's a fair price. I don't really agree with Mike as to "make it more newer". I mean for me, Vanagon (water cool) are all the same. You can add some later skirt and mag wheel but it's still the same square box. Just make sure it's really solid and dry! Not a cheap paint covering ugly rust. Ask for invoice just to see if this engine was really rebuilt, and by who!

As for the late grey interior color... i just hate it.

84 Wolfsburg where the pioneer of what would become the standard in 86, nothing more. But i like them:

Ho, and you get that:

They have style...

Good luck, Ben

snowbro3249 Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Thanks, that is exactly what the one I'm interested in looks like. I noticed in the images there is a rear wiper. The one I looked at didn't have that. Is that typically standard on an '84?

snowbro3249 Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:03 pm

Here is the listing:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=693060

crazyvwvanman Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:03 pm

The 84 Wolfy Westy is the best of the 80-84 Westys but is not as good as any 85 Westy. Don't pay too much for one, look around some more. Prices are softening lately so you can afford to wait a few weeks at least.

Mark

snowbro3249 wrote: Hi,

I'm a newbie on this forum and would like some advice, as I'm thinking about purchasing an '84 wolfburg westy.

The seller is asking $8k. I test drove the van and it drove very nice. The body is in good shape. There is no rust at all and it has been repainted. The interior is in great shape except for a minor tear in the driver's side door, and one of the arms on the drivers seat is a bit torn. The rear bumper has a dent and that is the only exterior flaw. The headlights were replaced with the dual rounds. The additional seating is a nice option. The engine only has 100k miles and apparently was rebuilt. Like I said, it drove very nice.

Thanks!

ftp2leta Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:17 pm

snowbro3249 wrote: Thanks, that is exactly what the one I'm interested in looks like. I noticed in the images there is a rear wiper. The one I looked at didn't have that. Is that typically standard on an '84?

Believe it or not, it was an option! ha ha.

the van you show us look in great shape, ok, they are small picture but still. It's missing some sticker on the bottom lower driver side so it mean it as been redone.

I know Vanagon bro, i have a good feeling. Still, if you can get better pictures send it to me, i check them out and come back to you.

Regards, Ben

ftp2leta Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:32 pm

Quote: The 84 Wolfy Westy is the best of the 80-84 Westys but is not as good as any 85 Westy.

????
It's exactly the same in every way.

I think your mistaken the standard 83.5 -84.

When i did one 3 years ago, i was afraid i wouldn't like it, after it came out of the paint shop i was all excited!!! it look like a big chocolate ice cone:

Here is the whole story:
http://www.benplace.com/84westy.htm

Cheers, Ben

914 mike Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:36 pm

I agree....that is a nice van.

And, when you get tired of putting around in the 1.9, you can go see Ben for a power upgrade :lol:

I still think there are better deals to be had and agree that the market is softening.

I notice that you are looking in the New Hampshire area. Vans as nice as the one you show are few and far between in that neck of the woods, so I would think proximity and availability make that a desirable van.

Mike
84 westy,2.2 suby
Livin the life I love and lovin the life I live

laterPeter Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:51 pm

I would be concerned with an east coast (any vehicle) with out rust showing... either it was truly well cared for, repaired & repainted or just repainted... check the water/fuel/brake lines under the Westfalia...
but it does look pretty darn nice & clean.
later,
Peter