TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: help...smoke and loss of power
futch Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:03 pm

Hi,

I've got an automatic 87 Westy and this morning I noticed that there was a lack of power in first and second gear, especially going up the hill. When I got to work I saw smoke coming out the back and it was too hot to check the oil. I'm parked at work now and not sure whether I should risk moving it. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I'm not so mechanically savvy, so the simpler the suggestions the better.

Thanks all,

Michael

PDXWesty Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:23 pm

My advice? Call AAA today and buy a plus membership and have it towed. If you don't already have it, it's the best $99 a year you'll ever spend. Don't mention that the van is already broken until you call back for a tow.

wgargan Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:34 pm

futch wrote: Hi,

I've got an automatic 87 Westy and this morning I noticed that there was a lack of power in first and second gear, especially going up the hill. When I got to work I saw smoke coming out the back and it was too hot to check the oil. I'm parked at work now and not sure whether I should risk moving it. Any thoughts on what might be causing this? I'm not so mechanically savvy, so the simpler the suggestions the better.

Thanks all,

Michael

smoke or steam?

very good advice about AAA or you can opt for this compnay