TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need Digifant troubleshooting help
Alan Brase Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:07 am

So, I went to start the 87 Wolfie Westy to get it into the garage last nite, and NO FIRE! I couldn't hear the fuel pump running, So, I jumpered the 30 and 87 contacts of the LEFT relay. then it started okay. I think it is not getting signal. At least no power in the coil side of the socket. My Bentley is elsewhere. What would cause this?
TIA, Al

Captain Pike Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:25 am

ig switch?

Perales Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:22 am

Bad relay?

tencentlife Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:58 am

The relay gets juiced by #15 in common with the ignition coil, so if you had spark, it's the relay.

crazyvwvanman Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:21 am

Except that the dizzy hall unit gets power from the ECU, the ECU has the ignition circuit built in, and the left relay is the ECU power relay. If that relay is not closing there will be no spark even though the coil has power.

Mark

tencentlife wrote: The relay gets juiced by #15 in common with the ignition coil, so if you had spark, it's the relay.

tencentlife Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:35 am

Right, good point, true on a Digifant, wasn't thinking.

Captain Pike Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:18 am

Page 24.48
CURRENT SUPPLY RELAY,
for control unit,idle stab,power steering p switch,injectors, OX sensor heater and pump relay.

when switching ignition on and off, relay must switch perceptibly.

check connectors according to current flow diagram.

FUEL SUPPLY RELAY
to current supply for fuel pump

when turning ignition on and off, relay must switch perceptibly(requirement:current supply relay and control unit OK)

crazyvwvanman Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:40 pm

This page in the Bentley is only correct for 86/87 AFAIK. Later years moved some items from the ECU power relay to the fuel pump relay. These 2 FI relays and their wiring are also wrongly shown in the 88/89 wiring diagram and I believe the 1990+ diagram reflects reality for this area in 88/89 as well as 90/91.

Mark

Bill W wrote: Page 24.48
CURRENT SUPPLY RELAY,
for control unit,idle stab,power steering p switch,injectors, OX sensor heater and pump relay.

when switching ignition on and off, relay must switch perceptibly.

check connectors according to current flow diagram.

FUEL SUPPLY RELAY
to current supply for fuel pump

when turning ignition on and off, relay must switch perceptibly(requirement:current supply relay and control unit OK)

Perales Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:43 pm

crazyvwvanman wrote: This page in the Bentley is only correct for 86/87 AFAIK.
Might be so but the OP was for an '87