TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Tom's Imports in MO & Sierra German Auto in CA
klucz Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:44 pm

Helping a friend research the history of this '84 Westy Wolfy before deciding to go look at it (its about an hour away):
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=695498

The seller says that the 'new crate' 1.9 was bought from and installed by Tom's Imports in Columbia, MO and that any work done since then was by Tim Miller of Sierra German Auto in Bishop, CA. Any info regarding either shop or the motor would be greatly appreciated.

ccisco Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:40 pm

I'm not sure how they could have put a 'new crate engine. Maybe a rebuilt from someone that came in a crate, yes..... but a new engine? That would mean that the quality would really depend upon the honesty and knowledge of the rebuilder....I would for sure check that out...Just my input... :?:

Luckypabst Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:12 pm

Sierra has a pretty content following it seems and they did all the maintenance on on the diesel Caddy that I bought from a local, even installing a new engine not too long ago. Otherwise I have no direct experience with them other than dropping in occasionally to find some odd used part.

From looking over my Caddy, I'd say they do fine work.

Chris

klucz Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Cool, thanks guys. I asked the seller if he has receipts for the motor. He said he probably does and that the 'crate' motor was rebuilt and installed by Tom's Imports 3 years ago. I'm wondering what parts were used in the rebuild.

ccisco Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:12 pm

You may want to check out the various discussions about after market pistons, (I think if you do a search 'cofab' it may take you there) and what needs to be done to the heads in order for them to work as well as they should, and checkout if the rebuilders did what they needed to do. I found the thread very interesting and enlighting....

klucz Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:49 pm

ccisco - Thanks for the pointers, I'm pretty sure I have the wbx rebuild thread you're referring to bookmarked along with the other ten-gajillion pages of 'good samba stuff'.

At this point I'm wondering if anyone here has bought a motor from Tom's Imports in the past or knows anything about them. The search turns up nothing.