TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lost shifting "linkage", I have to pull up while s
SockMonkey Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:26 pm

Ok, So I drove with it like this for abotu a week, but its up for the winter now but figured I would see what people think.

I was pulling up to a light and let it go into neutral. as I was goign to shift into 1st, as I swung it to the left to get 1st gear the shifter 'dropped' then went farther as if shifting into reverse.. I swung it back into the 1-4 range and pulled it up.. While holding it up it has its normal 1st-4th range, stopping to the left then up for 1st and so on. but I dont have to push it down to pass that 'barrier' to reverse, I just let it go and it drops. Like the spring holding it up broke.

If that makes any sense to anyone, what are your thoughts? I climbed under it the night it happened but I realized the spare was in the way.

RGS Paul Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:34 am

Sounds like the nylon parts that form the pivot for the lever in the front are shot.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_248_784/shifter_base_repair_kit.html

These pieces hold the lock out spring in place so if they go the shift pattern goes all weird. Not too bad to replace, both our Syncros had similar problems over the summer (well I bought mine with the problem), first one took a while but the second went really quickly. While you have the whole shift lever out of the front clean and grease everything really well.

Paul

Tom Powell Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:20 am

I don't you should use a petroleum based lubricant on nylon. I think that Syl-Glide which I beieve to be a silicone/lanolin lubricant is less damaging to nylon parts.Aloha
tp

SockMonkey Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:35 am

Thats awesome, Thanks. I want to put a short shift kit in it anyways, so I can kill two birds with one stone.