TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Reproduction OT Pulley's Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
oldbusboy Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:33 am

Answering my own threads:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1400128

Trevor

gatorwyatt Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:14 am

Those look nice!

Bengt H Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:28 pm

I have bought one from Stefi, looks very good :D

oldbusboy Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Hi Bengt,

Is Stepan's the same size a stock VW pulley, or smaller?

Thanks
Trevor

oldbusboy Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:12 pm

ok, does anybody know if this pulley will bolt on to a stock 36hp motor? This is 18cm across.

Wondering about any oil seal issues?

Thanks
Trevor

PIMPPRIDE Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:38 am

HerrLowlight wrote: I'm interested in one for my 36hp motor, so it needs to be the right size and needs to be bolt on.

Anthony?

Trevor

were talking about doing another run of these, anyone that wants, can please send me a PM or e-mail and ill put you on a list to guarantee you get a one from the next batch

Anthony / ISP WEST

PIMPPRIDE Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:58 pm

new run is done.. . these are black finished. ..

Anthony / ISP WEST

sparkleplenty Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:40 am

Are you making any that have been cut for sand seals?

gatorwyatt Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:06 pm

Some friends and I started discussing why the engines wanting higher timing ranges and it dawned on me that the asthetics of the pulley would lead you to believe the timing mark is at 0 degrees because it lines the OT directly up top. But in fact just like a stock pulley ranging from 7.5-10 degrees BTDC and hence there may be some confusion.

I put a call into Alex to see what the mark is set at when the pulley is made and he was going to look into it and remark back here on this thread.

56reddy Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:31 am

The mark on the top of the OT pulley is the TDC mark.

gatorwyatt Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:10 pm

scvw in his typical "make it the nicest possible" fashion, machined a device that can be screwed in to the #1 plug hole and has a center pin that slides in and out to decide when TDC is.
A micrometer was placed on the end of the pin and the engine was rolled over and decided this was the results.

The rest of the story on this engine was that the exhaust had a very strong smell of raw hydrocarbons and was set assuming the mark was zero and timing set at what was thought to be 34 degrees @3200-3500 rpms

56reddy Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:29 am

gatorwyatt wrote: scvw in his typical "make it the nicest possible" fashion, machined a device that can be screwed in to the #1 plug hole and has a center pin that slides in and out to decide when TDC is.
A micrometer was placed on the end of the pin and the engine was rolled over and decided this was the results.

The rest of the story on this engine was that the exhaust had a very strong smell of raw hydrocarbons and was set assuming the mark was zero and timing set at what was thought to be 34 degrees @3200-3500 rpms

Very interesting results Todd.

I have the last run of OT pulleys. My pulley is at TDC when the timing mark is aligned with the case seam. I know when Joe sends an engine out, he leaves it at TDC on #1 cylinder. When I put my pulley on it was perfectly aligned with the case seam.

rtroy Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:47 pm

gimmesomeshelter wrote: Hello-

Nla Parts sells a repro, but it isn't inexpensive.

http://www.nlaparts.com/store/front-crankshaft-pulley-4hole-p-1786.html

Paul

That's the wrong one!

THAT "4 hole pulley" is for the three piece crankcase introduced in ... October 54, I think.

The earlier one is the one that works on a VW...

rtroy Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:51 pm

Braukuche wrote: fanbelt wrote: So whats the advantage of this pully over a stock vw pully?

Spins the fan slower, less drag on the engine, less horsepower used.
--Dan

In so far as that's true, it's not the reason it was done.

The stock fan cavitates (or otherwise stalls) at around 4300 RPM; Porsche went to the smaller diameter to prevent overheating for continuous operation above around 4500.

Regards,
RT

rtroy Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:52 pm

Glenn wrote: Braukuche wrote: fanbelt wrote: So whats the advantage of this pully over a stock vw pully?

Spins the fan slower, less drag on the engine, less horsepower used.
--Dan
And less cooling.

Nope - or, rather, depends on at what RPM you're talking about!

The stock system can't handle high RPM, simple as that. Slowing the fan down helps the cooling system to continue to work at 6000 RPM.

Rgds,
Richard

johnny d Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:55 am

Hi Gents,
did someone actually use those ISP OT Pulleys?

if so, can someone tell me if these work or not?

I have one but still have not the chance to get the engine running, and i know wondering about the measures of the rear. All OG VW-Pullys are 49,90mm, but the OT pulley is 49,29mm

so i´m now worried about to getting a oil leaking problem with the OT Pulley.

It would be nice, if someone can help me out here..

Thanks

rtroy Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:59 pm

johnny d wrote:

...snip...

All OG VW-Pullys are 49,90mm, but the OT pulley is 49,29mm

...snip...

so i´m now worried about to getting a oil leaking problem with the OT Pulley.

Hi Johnny, you are incorrect about all VW pulleys being 49.9 as there were oversize pulleys available for worn cases.

If you have a worn case, here's how you can fix it:

http://356coachworks.com/share/engines/CrankcaseRepair_FixingWornPulleyBore.html

Or, send it to them, I'm sure they can do it for you, too!

As for worrying about a leak, yes, that's a smart thing to do! FIRST thing I would check is if that measurement tool is calibrated correctly! ;-)

johnny d Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:53 am

Thanks.

So is someone running these ISP Pulleys and can tell me if they work.

grailoc Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:37 pm

johnny d wrote: Hi Gents,

I have one but still have not the chance to get the engine running, and i know wondering about the measures of the rear. All OG VW-Pullys are 49,90mm,

Just measured my OG pulley and had 49.9mm exactly.

johnny d Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:13 pm

grailoc wrote: johnny d wrote: Hi Gents,

I have one but still have not the chance to get the engine running, and i know wondering about the measures of the rear. All OG VW-Pullys are 49,90mm,

Just measured my OG pulley and had 49.9mm exactly.

your OG OT Pulley or OG VW Pulley?