TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: So it begins... Type 4 Twin Screw Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
miniman82 Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:34 am

Who wants to see how this turns out? 8)

The recipie is as follows:

2.0 case
71mm crank
103mm AA piston kit
Rods are up in the air, either lightened stockers or H-beams
914 2.0 heads
Custom merged exhaust
EFI (Megasquirt of course)
EDIS distributorless ignition
Intercooler (probably the PWR barrel cooler I already have)
IHI Twin Screw supercharger from a Mazda Millenia S

Custom cooling system: this is gonna be the hardest part. Since the supercharger is gonna be close to the block due to the way it's oiling system works, the cooling fan(s) will have to be above it. It's lubricated via engine oil with drains on the bottom, so I'd like to simply have the oil return to the top of the block through the old breather mount spot. I'm toying with the idea of a Corvair magnesium fan with ducting, but at this point nothing's set in stone.

Any questions? :twisted:

Type 5 Joe Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:47 am

How are you going to keep the heads / cylinders sealed?

miniman82 Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:53 am

Think 5th studding would be a good idea?

Type 5 Joe Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:57 am

I think a set of Nickies are the only real answer....Even in non-boost applications.

There is another engine out there with Type I cylinder spacing and proven reliability Characteristics... Even has a German Alum case, and a Type IV style flywheel.

M-Owen Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:12 pm

Keep me posted, I have been thinking about a supercharger on a type4 for a while

craigman Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:40 pm

I WANNA SEE! 8)
Keep us posted!

Craig

MAYHEM Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Very interesting :-k
Anxious to see how it does. How much boost should it make?

Eric_S Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:11 pm

miniman82 wrote: Custom cooling system: this is gonna be the hardest part. Since the supercharger is gonna be close to the block due to the way it's oiling system works, the cooling fan(s) will have to be above it.

Or on both sides of it:

Everything has already been done.

Bad bug Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:55 pm

One thing i surely can advise you about make sure your chassis can take the abuse of a type4 on boost. O.k. interesting build i was considering a supercharged typr4 at one point. You could try to put a corvair fan on it, this has being discussed over at shoptalk forum a while back. Their was a guy on shoptalk forum by the name of moggy that had a supercharged 2.4ltr t4 just like the one you are building, it had loads of torque. I SAY AGAIN MAKE SURE YOUR CHASSIS CAN TAKE THE TORQUE THIS THING WILL PRODUCE.
Instead of fifth stud why not try increasing the surface area of the head where the sleeve would come into contact by machining grooves that interlock in the heads and the top of the liner. A very famous type4 engine in england used this method with great success ( Russ Fellows ).

nextgen Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:08 pm

What is the supercharger from.? I know VW makes very compact units.

Sigurd Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:10 pm

Subscribed.

gerg Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:14 pm

nextgen wrote: What is the supercharger from.? I know VW makes very compact units.

IHI Twin Screw supercharger from a Mazda Millenia S

Mark Henry Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:58 pm

You would have sealing issues even with 103 nickies. Heads should be welded across the top instead of the 5th stud crap and you would have a better chance of sealing with a smaller cylinder.

How much boost are you planning on? Seems most that try over 10 pounds have issues.

Alexander_Monday Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:24 pm

I don't know if he is still using this, however Moggy's solution to the head sealing problem was to do this:

Type 5 Joe Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Nice....

I would scrap the Type IV idea.

Alexander_Monday Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:19 pm

I found the post where I got those pictures:

http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=93194&am...1cefb60852

Hotrodvw Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Oh hell yeah..........I gotta see this! :D

miniman82 Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:57 pm

Eric_S wrote: miniman82 wrote: Custom cooling system: this is gonna be the hardest part. Since the supercharger is gonna be close to the block due to the way it's oiling system works, the cooling fan(s) will have to be above it.
Or on both sides of it...
Everything has already been done.

Ah, but that's not a twin screw 'charger. 8) I've seen that pic before on another forum.

miniman82 Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:04 pm

Alexander_Monday wrote: I don't know if he is still using this, however Moggy's solution to the head sealing problem was to do this:<snip>

I thought about doing that, does it work very well?

Jake Raby Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:04 pm

I look forward to seeing your results! Any interesting, outside the box build is good for the TIV.

When I have supercharged TIV engines the biggest battle was cooling intake temperatures.

You'll have fun with this,its fun doing something that make people scratch their heads.. The only thing thats better is the compliment of being told that you have lost your mind..