TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: anybody put headrests in bench seatback in their doka?
Central Syncronizer Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi,

My plan is to install head rests on the bench seatback in the back of my doka. I'm thinking that I'm not likely the first to do this.

Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated.

cheers

Tristar Eric Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:11 pm

I have them, but then I have different seats than you.

I've seen some Dokas in Germany where the guys have added the folding bed from a weekender, and it had headrests. I'll dig up a pic.

madspaniard Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:18 pm

don't know how a backseat on a Doka looks like but these links below might help, I'm about to do the same to the back bench of my westy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303299&highlight=head

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=275041&highlight=head

Tristar Eric Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:24 pm

Here you go, it looks like it fits. Bonus is you get a folding bed!

Incase you're wondering about the actual doka... it's powered by an Audi V8, with tiptronic trans, mounted mid engine.

Central Syncronizer Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Very cool! I really like the idea of the folding bed. I also really like the swivel seats but I'm going to hang onto the storage I've got under the bench.

Im going to try Kobylans idea of using the OEM hardware though.

kobylan Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:16 am

If your seat backs are plywood then you will have to fabricate a holder for the head rest posts. I believe the metal seat backs have the holes built in. Either way you should pick up the OEM head rest post guides. Part number is 811-881-93901C. They are about $17.00 each at the dealer here in Canada. You will also need the head rest clips part # 443-881-743.

spaeth Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:45 am

I would love to see what you figure out here. There is not much support in the seat backs in the DoKa. I am not sure you need a lot of support since you are mainly holding the padding in place and in an accident it is going to be supported by the back of the cab.

One of the big problems I see is that the head rest that should have the most support will be that center one and it will be the hardest to stiffen. I guess taking apart a seat back in a regular vanagon would tell you a lot. Robbing the headrest mounts and supports out of that would most likely be the easiest way to go.

I would really like to add some headrests on my DoKa as well. The other problem with that folding seat is look at how close it is to the back of the front seats. It doesn't look like it would be very comfortable to sit back there. I would love to see a pic of someone in there.

Craig

McVanagon Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:00 pm

Wow, this sure makes it easier for shooting out Jagdwagen windows.

junichi Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:36 pm

This thread feels a bit unresolved. Swapping seats seems to be an option. I would like to keep my reasonably nice original seat. The seat back has virtually no structure since it rests against the metal cab. I have been eyeing up the box beam like structure the seat back attaches to. Maybe I could install the headrest mounts into this structure?

junichi Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:44 pm

My seemingly tiny finger is pointing at the structure in question...

CHARLIE-DONT-SURF Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Was done from the factory chap!

Bundeswehr Dokas had them. Uses standard seat base/box then a double front seat along with a single. Runners were mounted on basic looking Ali brackets (glorified top hat shape).

A lot more comfy as seat back isn't vertical.

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/me-doka-init_topic85370.html

newfisher Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:58 pm

Why not have the oem seat material swapped over to the face of a Zbed bench and have the best of all 3 worlds, stock look, headrests and a place to sleep when you slide the front seats out/reverse them and reinstall them in the tracks for the night.

junichi Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Perhaps I am missing something but the Bundeswehr seems to have the headrests mounted in the seat back. I am thinking of mounting them NOT in the seat back, rather in the metal box beam my finger is pointing at...

junichi Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:41 pm

Here's what I came up with. My plan of using the box beam behind the seats wouldn't work because the headrests would be too close to the window.
I got 6 of the inserts noted in this thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303299
They are non-locking so the headrests can move up and down or be pulled out freely.

I modified them by making the outside smooth, other than the big tabs.

And cut some steel tubing to fit, and made the slots:

And welded them to the seat back. Had to relocate or remove the s-shape springs as needed.

junichi Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:44 pm

This is the final assembly, ready for a test fit and paint.

Then cut some of the seat padding to fit the steel tubing:

Test fit required the headrest post to be bent as they angled forward too much. Before:

After:

junichi Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:47 pm

And all painted, put back together and installed:

Not perfect as they still rub on the window making them difficult to adjust and near impossible to remove/install without seat back removal. But that only takes three scres and about 2 minutes.

I am very happy with the result as it looks near factory. Done in a day. $80 for inserts, 35 for headrests, 10 for vinyl paint for headrests, 20 for tubing after I ran out of scrap.