TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: bumper end caps
WVVWFERG Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:42 am

I did a search for "bumper and end and cap", but didn't see the answer to this very basic question concerning removal of the bumper end caps on chrome bumpers. How does the plastic "plug" covering the screws to the body sheet metal (sides of vanagon) come out? Do you just use a thin screwdriver to "pop" out these round covers, or do they somehow screw/unscrew? I need to remove the bumpers (and end covers) on my 86 in order to adress rust prior to bedlining the lower body. I'm really ashamed to ask such a lame question, but hope to save and reuse my end caps and hardware. Thanks

914 mike Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:48 am

Yep. I use a thin knife....work along the bottom edge so if you do mar it a little, it is less visable....

Mike

WVVWFERG Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:07 pm

thanks, Mike. just what I needed. Kim

RCB Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:11 pm

When you go and reinstall the plugs,,,,throw away that silly wood screw that the kit comes with.
I used a toggle bolt so the next time some idiot crushes the end cap all I have to do is tap on the toggle bolt and it will pop the cap right off and I can use it again.
The toggle bolt is of course located on the inside of the wheel well so tapping on it might require someone to creep or crawl under the front side.