TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Overheating... at 6F
bmwloco Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:16 am

Sigh.

I was pretty sure I had my Vanagon ready for winter, but alas, she boiled over this morning at 6F.

Made it to work, but she's burbled up but good. Any ideas on how I might get her flowing freely again in the next 8 hours?

I have good antifreeze and access to a warm room if necessary.

Glenn Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:19 am

There must be a air bubble up front preventing the water from flowing through the radiator.

What you need to do is raise the front or park on a hill, remove the grill and bleed the system with the engine running and warm.

CF Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:10 am

replace the thermostat ,it is not letting the coolant flow..

bmwloco Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:23 am

Thanks! I'll give that a go when it warms up a little more.

As service and parts are closed, I pulled her inside to warm up and pull the tops off the internal engine coolant cover and the filler behind the license plate too. Hopefully just being warmer will help it "settle out".

I'll tend to it later today.

danno Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:28 am

The level in my coolant overflow container was going up and down inconsistently I thought maybe a head gasket but I started with easy, the pressure cap once that was replaced the level is steady now.

Wildthings Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:02 am

If you don't have enough antifreeze, the radiator will freeze up and the engine will overheat as a consequence.

Terry Kay Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:02 am

A sure shot would be to replave the thermostat.

It's a pretty common item to lock closed,and cause overheating at an inopportune moment.

I'd check this out first.