TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: coil/ignition wiring
vanadude Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:17 am

I'm in need of some help regarding the wiring of my coil and distributor. I have an '83 air-cooled Vanagon, and I've fried two point/condenser sets because I've wired them wrong!

I'm trying to install an engine that I've rebuilt; the problem is that I was not the one that removed the engine, so I am clueless as to how to wire the coil to the distributor.

Aside from the HT lead from the coil, there are three connections to the coil...

1) thin green (or black) wire from the condenser

2) thin, long white wire from what appears to go to the FI system. This wire goes somewhere beneath the air cleaner

3) two black wires that are tied in to a single connector, which go to a bundle of several wires that located very near the coil.

Any help would be truly appreciated!

tencentlife Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:39 am

ID the two poles on the coil (excepting the HT lead in the center that goes to the center of the diz cap; you already know that one). One pole is labelled + and 15. The other is labelled - and 1. The figures are embossed in the endcap itself, you'll need to look closely

The paired black wires go to +/15.

The green wire from the condensor/points in the diz goes to -/1.

That's basic coil wiring, they're all the same. I'm not familiar with your extra white wire and my book is far away, but I'm guessing it doesn't belong or is someone's add-on. Someone for whom aircooleds are fresher in their mind will hopefully offer an opinion on that. But try wiring it as I've described, and leave the white wire off for now, and see if she starts.

vanadude Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:51 am

Hey, thanks alot for your help. I like your logic!

tencentlife Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:09 am

Well, don't get to liking it too much; it might not work!

82WestyMan Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:07 am

vanadude wrote:
2) thin, long white wire from what appears to go to the FI system. This wire goes somewhere beneath the air cleaner.

That wire is to your FI system... it goes back to your ECM unit and is the 'trigger' wire
That goes to the " - " side of your coil, same same side as the wire from the distributor

On a side note, I just recently scanned to a PDF and sent to EverettB my AFC FI Training and Troubleshooting manual for your FI system
Its over in "Technical/Manuals/FI Manuals"...
(here's the link)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/afc_fi_training_troubleshooting_manual.php
I find it a great help with the FI system on our A/C engines

Wildthings Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 pm

I thought all Vanagons came with Hall senders?

82WestyMan Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:34 pm

no
Fed spec A/C's came with points