TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Official roo bar build thread Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
fusername Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:37 am

So Now that my metal is in the mail, I figured it would be about time for me to start a build thread for the roo bars. Everyone likes a build thread. But for a little background, I decided to make a couple of these things to offset the cost of buying a new welder and building a tubing bender. My goal had been 3-4, and i got nearly double that. But now 3 weeks later, only 3 people have actually sent in their monies, so thats all that goes out. I plan on posting plenty of pics as the work goes, but lets sum up the last few months in three photos here. First was my initial bending, to flesh out hte shape and size, and to test the bender out, which worked perfectly!

that is also a rough idea of the flat kit some folks opted for, to save on shipping.

original bumper, all tacked together. then it fell apart when I moved it so I tacked it a bit harder, which of course will mean I wil need to take it apart later. One grinding wheel later, I decided I wanted more bends in it.

So there it is with the rest of the bends, and now I am much happier with the shape. The bender didn't like doing it as I had already notched the ends and it was too short to fit the bender right, so I will need to leave on extra material for the rest of the bumpers.

a couple of folks want spare tire mounts, so I started figuring out how high to make it, thanks to my handy Westy roof rack. I think it looks best a little on the higher side, what do you guys think? Spare tire carrier will be bolted on, that way if there is no spare you can remove it and not have a pedestiran impaler floating on the front of your bay. Remember, the driver is supposed to die in a head on, not the lady in the crosswalk.

vwbusbusvw Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:27 am

fusername wrote:

Lopsided?

GetPsycho Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:45 pm

Wow, I really like the bar. How does it mount?
Do you have to drill a bunch of holes in the frame?
Do you have any pictures with the tire mount?

fusername Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:19 pm

...can we not talk about the lopsided? That is from my original mock up, which is actually still on the car. I had to use muffler clamps welded to the frame to see what it will look like, as my official mounting bits are still in the mail. and have been for about 4 weeks now, driving me nuts.

store ran out of muffler clamps, u bolt had to do :roll:
Mounting requires 4 holes drilled in the frame, and the tow hook needs to be relocated. I have an alternate design where you don't need to move the tow hooks, but it is probably a lot wobblier, as I use a steel plate to offset the bar from the frame. No one has requested that style, so I didn't build one.

fusername Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:05 pm

So I have been finalizing that spare tire mount, got it mocked up half way, and realized I mismeasured the lower leg. However I like the way it came out, although drilling holes in steel that thick is no fun at all. And being bolt on, you can flip it upside down and raise/lower the tire to fit your taste. Pictures will come when I find my camera. If there is one thing I am good at, its loosing stuff. It is basically some inch and a half plate steel, nothing fancy, just a pita to form.

norcalmike Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:12 pm

can you make it curve back toward the nose of the bus so it doesnt stick out so far?

fusername Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:28 pm

thats as tight as it gets, but the reason its so far away is the spare tire i have on there is a real wide sucker, so I am actually half an inch away from that. when I remove the tire and can slide the roo bar back a full 3 inches or so, which is mucho tighter. Again, I have photos of that as well on my MIA camera

norcalmike Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:34 pm

like this one.
see the curveback. it sits real close to the nose

norcalmike Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:39 pm

will yours sit like this?

vwbusbusvw Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:27 pm

norcalvw wrote:

will yours sit like this?

No bend on the bottom... plus there's the winking issue.

norcalmike Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:42 pm

yeah, i see that it needs to be more refined.
if it had the curve-in and sat a little tighter, id be rushing payment off

kombicol Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:15 pm

A pretty good likeness of the original roo bars I must say.
That style were common on the Sopru bros conversions back home (OZ).

My kombi had some big pieces of angle under the front which were part of the mounting system. Some of them also had a set up where the mount was larger diameter pipe than hte bar so it could be easily removed.

Generally they tend to tilt backwards once you have actually hit a roo or too...or bottom out on a driveway.

If you look in the gallery on aussieveedubbers.com you should find some pics of the different styles

fusername Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:38 am

yeap, thats about how close mine is when done. I don't like the extra tight double bend, as it really weakens the bar there, and also my bender would probably look kinda funny, as it makes large radius curves.
The winking issue is a non issue. It just looks like that because I had rushed the mounts together for the photo. Those brackets are NOT what is going to be used in the end. The wink is a nonissue, I assure you. Hopefully the final bits will arrive later today, or so the tracking number says, and I can finally be 100% done w/ this one.

thewalrus Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:58 am

fusername wrote: I have an alternate design where you don't need to move the tow hooks, but it is probably a lot wobblier, as I use a steel plate to offset the bar from the frame. No one has requested that style, so I didn't build one.
I'd like mine like that. I twitched a little when you said you had to cut the tow hooks off so leaving them on would be a big plus!! I'll send you an email and we can talk.

fusername Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:35 pm

well here it is, and this is a thrown together sketch, the only things to scale are the width of the frame and the tubing. Everything else is just to show concept. Baiscaly the plates would be further back then the hooks to give you space to bolt up. figure 14 ga plate is the best thickness. Maybe a horizontal brace if it is horribly wobbly, or some thick plate like the spare is made out of, only thing is that that can't be wrapped for extra weld area like it is in the pic.

fusername Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:37 pm

fusername Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:32 am

So I have a funny story for you guys. It starts I got robbed, and ends they took my camera. So sadly there will be no more updates w/ pictures in the foreseeable future, as I do not have the extra bling for a new one.

For those who have ordered, I just want to update and let you know that I have yet to receive word from my metal guy, however I will let you know as soon as it comes in. I would hate for you guys to think I forgot about you!

Rick73Super Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:53 am

I'm in no hurry for my order, thanks for the updates.

thewalrus Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:27 am

No hurry here either. That sucks about your camera though!! I hate thieves!! :evil:

fusername Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:22 am

they stole my cell, my camera, and all my change in the ash tray, left my prescription drugs and tools (lots of tools)

stupid thieves.