TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wheel Paint
RGS Paul Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:51 am

I have a new set of the SA steel wheels sitting on my floor waiting to be finished and installed. Now I'm at the impasse of how to finish them. Powdercoating isn't really in the budget, I'm looking at the Würth wheel paint or the Dupli-Color wheel paint. The Würth has the advantage of being the correct paint for a VW steel wheel, that has some appeal to me. But I have to order it, wait, paint, wait, paint again, wait… Where as the Dupli-Color is available locally and I can get more if I need it. If I go with the Dupli-Color it will probably be the graphite not the silver.

So the question. Anyone ever use both of these products and have some insight as to which is a better finish? Is there one that is easier to apply nicely or one that holds up better? How many cans of both color and clear will I likely need?

I did a search but didn't find anything really conclusive. My new Pirelli ATR's should be here Monday so my feet are going to really start itching to get these on. :lol:

BTW, these are beautiful wheels, the welds are clean and the stamping is very nice. They will look great on the Syncro!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

nicewesty Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:45 am

I used the Dupli-color Graphite on a set of snow tires for my Honda Insight. I cleared it with the Dupli-color clear for wheels. The tire shop knicked the edge in a couple spots, but touch-up was easy enough. I banged them around in storage a couple of times and never bothered to touch them back up. All things considered, it was decent paint. It's not as durable as powder-coating, but then it's only a couple bucks for a can of paint. :)

Wildthings Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:29 am

I have just used Rustoleum in the past. Clean the wheel well, spray it and then let it sit for a few hours in the sun. Once it is good and dry I put it in the oven for several more hours at about 200°F to further set the paint. The wheels stay looking nice for 5 years or so this way.

Best to make sure the wife is at a her sister's or a friend's place while you are doing this.

agreendaya Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:38 am

I've done the rustoleum thing as well, just a couple coats, worked fine for me. Nice part is, if the paint gets chipped or otherwise wounded, another $3 can and the problem is fixed.

RGS Paul Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:28 pm

Ok, I need some advice again. I went to paint the wheels today. Since they are new I figured give them a wipe down with denatured alcohol to remove any oil, scuff the surface a little, wash, dry, paint. Easy, right.

Wrong. These things are covered in some kind of paint that dissolves in the alcohol, I spent about 2.5 hours cleaning two wheels to find that there was a layer of gunk built up in the area between the center and rim that I couldn't get to. I gave up and came home for lunch.

Anyone have an idea what this stuff is? It is too soft and sticky to be paint, the tape that was on the wheels pealed it off. Any ideas how to get it off without going crazy? I was really hoping to get two wheels painted today but no luck. What have people done on these in the past? I don't know that I can paint over it without suffering for it later.

Thanks,

Paul

austinado16 Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:54 pm

Have you considered having them glass bead blasted back to bare metal? Then a metal etching primer, and then your top coats?

RGS Paul Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:23 pm

I considered having the wheels professionally finished but I'm being cheap. :lol:

If they are going to be a pain and if I won't get an acceptable finish then I will take them to a powdercoater and have it done there. I just want to explore other options first.

Paul

austinado16 Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:36 pm

Shouldn't cost much to have someone with a a glass beader do those. Even sand blasting wouldn't hurt 'em.

70coupyel Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:06 pm

Paul
I have been researching wheels and wheel paint fot my Ghia.
Prep and taking your time for the DIY'er is the best thing you can do.
Alot of Posche guys are happy with the quality of the Würth paint. The Dupli-Color paint did have about 25% that said it was crap. I think it was not preped right.
The stuff on your wheels might be cosmolene. Very standard stuff that is put on machinery during shipping to keep steel from rusting. Kerosine will cut that stuff.
I went to an auto body paint store and got some paint prep to clean first.
I shot Dupli-Color clear on polished alloys. You will need 2 cans. Use very light coats and make sure it is dried properly before going for the next coat. If it's done right there is no reason it should last for a very long time(4,5 years plus). If you rush it and it doesn't come out right it might only last a vert short amount of time. Do it right with the tires off and you will be very happy in the long run.
Prep and take your time.