TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: pop top lift kit
pushkick Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:31 am

i know there was a post about the pop top lift kit that used shocks but has anyone done one with screw lift or a jack lift? i have done one with a 5/8 X 11 all thread, a swivel nut, a hold plate and nut. mounted by the pop top latch.

woggs1 Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:27 am

Now that I want to see, any pics?

danfromsyr Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:26 am

Soooo do you run it by hand in a ratchet ? or do you bring a cordless drill out?

if one got a big enough linear actuator you could do it on 12vs but they are $$ for the 12" throw ones.

We have the lift "ASSIST" struts and are VERY happy with them.
it will become a basic install on ALL of our vans.

Dan in NY

larrytrk Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:12 am

How can you improve on perfection:>)!!

jackbombay Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:23 am

Is the objective to gain reliability?

I can't quite picture how you have the threaded rod set up, if its by the latch is it ~4' long to be long enough to push the top all the way up?

pushkick Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:00 am

this was something i needed to do because i dislocated my shoulder. so i had to have a way to get the top up and down. it was cheap! used my portable battery drill to move up or down. guess you could use a hand rachet.
not competing with anyone just thought maybe someone had some ideas how to improve or had a better idea. takes about a 2min to open and close.
11 threads per inch and the rod is about 40 inches long. rod stores nicely in tray above stove.

swivel nut attached to roof part of latch
5/8" X 11 all thread
piece of stainless mounted to existing cab latch used longer bolts
used a piece of round rod and welded tabs and threaded 5/8 x 11
5/8 X 11 nut

danfromsyr Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:10 am

Well that's jut neat... but do NOT catch your back or skull on those bolts or the added bracket... least without the 1st aid kit very nearby. :shock:

you may want to try the lift struts.. they really do take alot of the effort out of raising the poptop. and the install was very simple as well.

+Props for your prop_rod DIY though.

Dan

pushkick Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:27 am

yes that is a good idea. instead of just adding a plate underneath latch: weld
extension on to existing latch and then no need for new bolts. or even better make a removable plate so no chance of hitting it. that way it would look more professional. i should at least shorten the bolts for now. maybe next year! actually since the bolts are threaded in roof the plate could be removed when not in use

singler3360 Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:04 pm

danfromsyr,
Did you get the standard duty or the heavy duty lifters? I'm wondering if I can get by with the standard duty since I only occasionally put bikes, etc.. on top.

1621 Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:37 pm

singler3360 wrote: danfromsyr,
Did you get the standard duty or the heavy duty lifters? I'm wondering if I can get by with the standard duty since I only occasionally put bikes, etc.. on top.

I have the HD shocks and they're nice, but it takes a bit of force to actually close it when there's no load on top. You may want to consider the lighter duty if that's the case.

jackbombay Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:09 pm

I do have some "standard+" shocks (bit stronger then standard, but quite a bit less than HDs) that can work well depending on the application, fwiw.

The threaded rod will certainly lift the roof regardless of load, moving the plate/bolts higher up would make it really user friendly, nice work.

pushkick Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:31 pm

i have made a new bracket for for my pop top lift which just slides over the existing poptop latching bracket and tightens down with some wing nuts